Calling Campag experts...

dstev55
dstev55 Posts: 742
edited June 2017 in Workshop
Hi all,

I've just had a Campag Over Torque crankset fitted in 53/39 form. After a hilly ride today I think I'm a bit over gunned with the 39.

Firstly, would it be OK to pair a 36 with a 53 and secondly will the Record/Super Record 5 arm rings (2011 - 2014) fit an Over Torque crankset?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• mockenrue
    mockenrue Posts: 21
    Yes, the 5-arm rings will fit. However the shifting is likely to be poorer than with 53/39 or 52/36. The lift pins and ramps are in the wrong places relative to the teeth on the inner ring (they have to be correctly aligned, hence the index marks and in the case of the old 5-arm compact chainsets, the offset bolt) so the outer ring is less inclined to pick up the chain properly. I tried this once and it was never a really satisfactory and completely predictable shift.

You will notice that the outer rings designed for use with an even number of teeth on the inner chainring have a different arrangement of pins and ramps to those designed for use with an odd tooth-count inner. This is not an accident - it's to ensure that an outer link plate is always presented correctly to the bottom of a lift ramp (even number of teeth on the ring means that the same teeth always carry an outer link plate - odd number, the teeth always alternate link plates).
  • dstev55
    Do you think this would still be a major problem even on Super Record EPS where the front derailleur changes are a nigh on perfect?
  • FYI, a 53/39 Campagnolo 5-arm crank will have a 135mm BCD and will not fit an inner ring smaller than a 39. You'll need a new crank, either in 5-bolt compact or the new 4-bolt form to get a smaller inner ring.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Isn't the easier solution to switch to a cassette with a more forgiving largest sprocket(s)?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Isn't the easier solution to switch to a cassette with a more forgiving largest sprocket(s)?

I suppose it depends on what he's got on the back now but this is what I would think.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    FYI, a 53/39 Campagnolo 5-arm crank will have a 135mm BCD and will not fit an inner ring smaller than a 39. You'll need a new crank, either in 5-bolt compact or the new 4-bolt form to get a smaller inner ring.

This. So I'm afraid you've only got the cassette to play with and that'll mean a maximum 29 on the back - don't try and fit the Potenza 11/32.
  • mockenrue
    mockenrue Posts: 21
    FYI, a 53/39 Campagnolo 5-arm crank will have a 135mm BCD and will not fit an inner ring smaller than a 39. You'll need a new crank, either in 5-bolt compact or the new 4-bolt form to get a smaller inner ring.

Of course - and thanks for pointing that out. I forgot to include this (important!) detail in my reply. The 5-arm rings are interchangeable between Over Torque and Ultra Torque, but with the older cranks you cannot mix standard with compact/semi-compact. Apologies to the OP for any confusion.
  • dstev55
    Ok no worries, I'm already on 11-29 on the back, I'm on the edge of the Peak District so I'm talking climbs of 11-12%+ where I start grinding it out. I'm a super skinny type but lacking a little on the power side, I suppose this will certainly help me get a bit of power in the legs.

This will teach me to stop being a tight git after buying a crankset that wasn't 100% ideal just because it was cheap!