Rear bike mount on a 2016 Zafira Sports Tourer

molteni_man
molteni_man Posts: 454
edited June 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi,
I have a 2016 Zafira Sports Tourer which has a rear spoiler mounted just above the high level brake light. I own a Thule 2 bike rear mount (9106) which I have used on my previous generation Zafira successfully although this car did not have a rear spoiler.
The Thule rear mount 'offers up' well and is nice and secure but the mounting straps ( soft metal covered in plastic) go over the rear spoiler and there is a 'little bend' in the spoiler from the pressure on the spoiler. I have not driven the car as wanted to seek advice. ( There is advice on different websites- Thule suggest that the model fit is correct, but that it should not be used when there is a spoiler. A Vauxhall website only offers 'on top and tow bar' solutions for bike carrying.

My question is has anyone used a rear mounted bike carrier with new style Zafira with a spoiler without issue? Are Thule being too precautionary, or is it sensible to heed this advice. I'm going to contact my Vauxhall dealer tomorrow, or drop in at some point this week.
Any help and advice gratefully received.

Comments

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    I doubt they will offer anything other than the official advice. If they do and the spoiler fails and the whole lot falls off you may decide to blame them....
  • molteni_man
    molteni_man Posts: 454
    Yes - good point re liability!
    Just wondering if anyone had done it without issues and had disregarded 'official advice '
    Also going to explore the towbar route and get some prices. Anyone had this done on a Zafira?