parts and compatibility

mathematics
mathematics Posts: 453
edited June 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all.

Im getting around to building up a work hack and a bike for my wife to pootle about on.

I've got some bits together but need advice on whether these things will work. So here goes;

front derailleur - old XT M738 from an 8 speed triple set up. Will this work with a 10 speed chain?
chainset deore m590 - will this work with a 10 speed chain?

Thanks

Chris

PS anyone know if my superstars evolution hub is ok for 10 speed?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Th eight speed front mech will be really tricky to get working with a 10 speed chain as the cage is wider for the wider 8 speed chain, you can often get away with being one out, but two.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mathematics
    The Rookie wrote:
    Th eight speed front mech will be really tricky to get working with a 10 speed chain as the cage is wider for the wider 8 speed chain, you can often get away with being one out, but two.

Poop - thought that might be the case. Thank you

I think my chainset might be ok

I'm glad you replied Rookie, do you know what front mech I need for an old vulcan? It's a bottom pull 3 x 8.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Any bottom pull 3x8, I had high and low mount on mine with no issue.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mathematics
    The Rookie wrote:
    Any bottom pull 3x8, I had high and low mount on mine with no issue.

Great thanks