aero handle bar or helmet?

jacobpeacock
jacobpeacock Posts: 66
edited June 2017 in Road buying advice
good day.i will be having my first 'aero' purchase. what will make more difference?the helmet(limar 007 superlight)or the handle bar(bontrager race light aero)?
(pls respect)

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Both are fairly pointless - the 'aerobar' is particular pointless - until/unless your position is dialled in first. Perhaps some indication of what you are trying to achieve might be helpful? And don't say 'being more aero'...
  • Imposter wrote:
    Both are fairly pointless - the 'aerobar' is particular pointless - until/unless your position is dialled in first. Perhaps some indication of what you are trying to achieve might be helpful? And don't say 'being more aero'...
    actually i will be getting a bike fit so my position in the bike would be good/aero. i will primarily be doing some triathlons and duathlons but i dont really want to buy a tri bike.
  • imposter2.0
    Fitness first, aero kit later. As the old saying goes, "train to knock off the minutes, spend to knock off the seconds"
  • Imposter wrote:
    Fitness first, aero kit later. As the old saying goes, "train to knock off the minutes, spend to knock off the seconds"
    actually i will be getting this as a gift so there is nothing to loose.i just dont know what to choose from.an answer would be much appreciated.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Aerobars will make a much bigger difference than the helmet, if you could only have only one. But as has been said, you'd need to use them properly.
  • Term1te wrote:
    Aerobars will make a much bigger difference than the helmet, if you could only have only one. But as has been said, you'd need to use them properly.
    define 'using them properly'
  • imposter2.0
    Term1te wrote:

The bars mentioned (race light aero) are not 'aero' bars in the typical sense, they are standard drops with a flat 'wing' section on the tops.

I personally can't see how either is going to make any noticeable difference. If they are a gift, ask for money instead - and put that towards something genuinely useful, like coaching or a bike fit.
  • TonyJams
    TonyJams Posts: 214
    If you're riding solo then a pair of clip on TT aero bars will make the biggest difference for the money. If you're riding in a group (or commuting) don't get TT bars, they make you spectacularly dangerous.
    If you're riding in a group just get fitter and learn to climb faster, the aero benefits will be secondary.
  • Imposter wrote:
    Term1te wrote:

The bars mentioned (race light aero) are not 'aero' bars in the typical sense, they are standard drops with a flat 'wing' section on the tops.

I personally can't see how either is going to make any noticeable difference. If they are a gift, ask for money instead - and put that towards something genuinely useful, like coaching or a bike fit.
    ok but my question is still not answered.bars or helmet.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Imposter wrote:

Do both, both will bring benefit.

http://www.cyclist.co.uk/in-depth/534/h ... o-kit-save
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:
    Term1te wrote:

Not sure if you're getting it. My answer is 'neither' - for the reasons I just outlined.
  • imposter2.0
    Stueys wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Do both, both will bring benefit.

http://www.cyclist.co.uk/in-depth/534/h ... o-kit-save

That article pretty much confirms what I said. 'Train to knock off the minutes, spend to knock off the seconds.'
  • Imposter wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Term1te wrote:

Not sure if you're getting it. My answer is 'neither' - for the reasons I just outlined.
    Ok thanks for your answer.
  • good day.i will be having my first 'aero' purchase. what will make more difference?the helmet(limar 007 superlight)or the handle bar(bontrager race light aero)?
    (pls respect)
    Pls no answers like "train first". Need answer that actually answer my question.thanks in advance:)
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Both offer an absolute minimum benefit so either

(1) buy the one you think looks the coolest
    (2) buy the one that you think would best replace what you have ... i.e. If your current bars are too wide, then get new narrow aero ones
  • fat daddy wrote:
    Both offer an absolute minimum benefit so either

(1) buy the one you think looks the coolest
    (2) buy the one that you think would best replace what you have ... i.e. If your current bars are too wide, then get new narrow aero ones

Thank you sir!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    No point in buying the flat bars. They'll bring no extra speed and likely will stop you fitting tri bars to the bike.
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    http://www.active.com/cycling/articles/ ... its?page=2

Worth a read. Bear in mind the aero helmet they are referring to is a TT teardrop style helmet; the difference between a normal (vented) helmet and an 'aero' road helmet wil be much, much less.
  • MiddleRinger
    MiddleRinger Posts: 678

- Assuming a standard road bike, a set of clip-on aero "tri bars" have the most benefit, as long as they get you into a more aerodynamic position and one you can hold for the duration of your event while putting out enough power. If you can have your bike fit with those included that would help.

- An aero helmet is only good IF it works with your position. You'll either want a long tail design or a stubby design depending on your head and upper back position when getting aero. A long tail design needs to sit flush against your back to smooth the flow of air (no good if you move your head around a lot while riding in the tuck).

- Flat topped aero drop bars will not save you any noticeable time - but they look cool.

- Once you get your bike fit and aero position dialled, spend as much time as you can riding in that position in order get comfortable tucked in while still laying down decent power.
  • vinnymarsden
    vinnymarsden Posts: 560
    Hi mate,
    Not sure how aero you can get in an aero kid without the attendant TT bars etc, which you state you are not doing.... in which case..go for the 3T aeronova or Enve flatvtop SMART bars, I've had the 3Ts and as posted by previous they look uber cool and must make some difference .
    If money is no issue then the Enves look even better, I think you can add clip on TTbars to the3Ts if you feel the need/urge.... one thing to be aware of with the 3Ts... they add to your reach so check out stem length etc. Good luck, and nice to have someone else paying for your stuff !!!
  • vinnymarsden
    Hi mate,
    Not sure how aero you can get in an aero kid without the attendant TT bars etc, which you state you are not doing.... in which case..go for the 3T aeronova or Enve flatvtop SMART bars, I've had the 3Ts and as posted by previous they look uber cool and must make some difference .
    If money is no issue then the Enves look even better, I think you can add clip on TTbars to the3Ts if you feel the need/urge.... one thing to be aware of with the 3Ts... they add to your reach so check out stem length etc. Good luck, and nice to have someone else paying for your stuff !!!
  • vinnymarsden
    Hi mate,
  • imposter2.0
    I've had the 3Ts and as posted by previous they look uber cool and must make some difference .

What difference 'must' they make?
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    A quick Google comes up with...

Limar Helmet - circa £145-£180 depending on outlet
    Bontrager bars - circa £62-£69

So not really like-for-like purchase wise? One of the Googles states the bars are worth '23 seconds per hours' (Pedalon), no stats for the helmet that I could see. I suspect that any stats are at a 'pro's wattage', not weekend warriors, so probably even less of an advantage for normal humans.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    You don't need either. For a good aero position remove the bars and ride with your hands behind your back in a tuck position. Don't use a helmet, it just encourages risk taking and is also less aero. Grease your hair back with goose fat and shave your legs, that's the way to go.
  • A quick Google comes up with...

Limar Helmet - circa £145-£180 depending on outlet
    Bontrager bars - circa £62-£69

So not really like-for-like purchase wise? One of the Googles states the bars are worth '23 seconds per hours' (Pedalon), no stats for the helmet that I could see. I suspect that any stats are at a 'pro's wattage', not weekend warriors, so probably even less of an advantage for normal humans.
    Lol.they cost the same from where I'm from.i should probably look online.
  • You don't need either. For a good aero position remove the bars and ride with your hands behind your back in a tuck position. Don't use a helmet, it just encourages risk taking and is also less aero. Grease your hair back with goose fat and shave your legs, that's the way to go.

Lol