Advice on new BB, BB93 looks too short?

plasma_man
plasma_man Posts: 129
edited June 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all

BB is creaking, it's a BB51, after some googling, seems BB93 is best quality replacement.

Started to fit it today, but looking at the length, it seems the BB93 is just too short. The BB51 has a single space on one side, two on the other, lining them up next to each other shows that they don't match? BB93 came with spacers but I can only see that helping if it's too long, not too short.

I can install it with spacers, but I don't think the inner sleeve would mate with the opposite side?

I'm a BB virgin, maybe something obvious I'm doing wrong so happy to take a slap in the face and told what to do :D

BB1_zps1vrsw75h.jpg

BB1_zps1vrsw75h.jpg
- 2013 Cube LTD, SL 29, grey / black.

Comments

• plasma_man
    I think it will work with spacers. I had the BB in but not tightened fully, after removing, I see a slight bend on the end of the sleeve, so it must have been crushed as I tightened it slightly. The length difference in the picture is probably not as bad with the sleeve is in perfect condition!

Chances are it will fit with the correct spacers, live and learn.

Got a new BB93 arriving Tue and got a BB51 too for a tenner....just it case!
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    what size is the botton bracket shell 68 or 73mm? as I would just copy the above and use the 2 spacers on the drive side and 1 non drive size.

Be aware the cup size is smaller so you will need an adapter in the regular size bb tool to tighten the cups up.
  • plasma_man
    New BB arrives tomorrow, will add the spacers to make it identical to the old one and should be fine. I have the Parker tool which works well, just me that needs to work better!

I guess the new shell is 68mm and the old 73, hence the 2 and 1 spacer at each end.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Plasma_man wrote:
    I guess the new shell is 68mm and the old 73, hence the 2 and 1 spacer at each end.
    Erm, the BB Shell is the part of the frame it goes through, so unless you are reframing the bike as well the old and new shell are the same.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.