London - Brighton BHF 2017

Tashman
Tashman Posts: 3,400
This is my first attempt at this and next weekend, and will also be the furthest I've ridden. I've managed to fit in a couple of 35 mile rides now so I'm fairly confident that the extra shouldn't kill me too much.

Any tips from anyone who's done this. I know it's very busy so it's not about time.

Comments

• Sounds like you've done a decent distance so far. The only real hill is DItchling Beacon, and it's near the end so keep something in the tank. It goes on a little further than you think the first time you ride it, with a false flat about two thirds up. But, after that its down hill and flat.
    Keep yourself hydrated and eat little and often, if the weather looks good don't forget the sun lotion!
    The only other thing I would say is be aware of everyone around you. It'll be busy and you'll be amongst faster and slower riders. As you say it's not a race so enjoy it and pace yourself.
  • Tashman
    Thanks for that​. I'm really looking forward
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    unless you get a very early start be prepared to walk the first hill.. it gets a lot of run riders who will be all over the ride and have no idea who to ride with other people..

Only really two bad hills and most people will walk up those.

It's a friendly day out, plenty of feed stops so try and enjoy it.

I've skipped it now and just ride the same route with mates a week later much more fun
  • Tashman
    A thoroughly enjoyable day out. Of the 3 most significant climbs, Ditchling Beacon was the only one I had to dismount for. That was due to a lack of ability to climb on my part. Some weird an wonderful bikes and people out too. Particular highlights for me was the fella on his penny-farthing, a guy on an old Raleigh Banana racing team bike in full kit too and just the nice vibe throughout.
    Got held up at the Beacon as there'd been a nasty 3 bike prang. Hoping it was all precautionary and no-one was seriously hurt. The crowds along Madeira drive were fantastic and the people dotting the route were great too, especially those with hose pipes providing a welcome cooling mist over the riders. Will definitely do it again
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,561
    I wondered if it was on Sunday. Must have been sweltering!!! But a great day to spend on the beach...
  • davesnothere
    davesnothere Posts: 620
    Well done, it was unbearably hot on Sunday.

I was offered a place on my mate's work team entry, couldn't do it as i had family stuff on. Went for a quick spin early on Sunday and was quite glad i turned it down.
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • Tashman
    Didn't seem too bad all the time we were moving. Really felt it once we stopped to wait to be allowed up the Beacon. The last 5 miles before the Beacon I started to feel my legs a bit. Strange how everyone seemed to slow and go quieter on the approach. You could feel the apprehension.
  • Glad it went well, but sorry to hear about the prang on the Beacon. Hopefully nobody was hurt. I had an early start so was able to avoid the crowds this time out.