right size for CX cannondale CAAD9 (2007)

aleksandre
aleksandre Posts: 5
edited October 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi there,
I am considering buying an cyclocross, but I am not sure about the right size. I want to use my new bike (a used one actually) almost only on roads, but in my area there are a lot of bad roads, so i won't choose a racing bike. I think the CX is the perfect solution. The bike is similar to the one in the link https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/searchl ... x?id=95943, with dura-ace 2x9 and mavic ksyrium wheels. My height is 1.74m with shoes on and the size of the bike i want to buy is 56cm. Is it a good size? Thanks a lot :D

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    aleksandre wrote:
    Hi there,
    I am considering buying an cyclocross, but I am not sure about the right size. I want to use my new bike (a used one actually) almost only on roads, but in my area there are a lot of bad roads, so i won't choose a racing bike. I think the CX is the perfect solution. The bike is similar to the one in the link https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/searchl ... x?id=95943, with dura-ace 2x9 and mavic ksyrium wheels. My height is 1.74m with shoes on and the size of the bike i want to buy is 56cm. Is it a good size? Thanks a lot :D

At 1.74m (5' 8" in old money) I think the 56cm frame might be a tad too big for you. You can work around it with saddle height and stem length but it's not really advisable. Much easier to make a frame that's too small work than one that's too big.

My advice would be to test ride the bike you're planning to buy and see if it feels OK. If it feels too stretched then walk away
  • I'll give it a short ride before deciding if it's worth it. The problem is that the bike is in another city, pretty far and i was wondering if i should give it a chance.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    It will be too big. Really a 56cm Cannondale are for people 6ft+
  • Thanks for the advice trek_dan
  • ajkerr73
    ajkerr73 Posts: 318
    trek_dan wrote:
    It will be too big. Really a 56cm Cannondale are for people 6ft+

Agreed

I have a 61cm CAADX and could have gone for a 58cm and it would have fitted.

I'm 195cm or about 6ft 5".
  • I finally bought that bike after i tested it, contrary to your advice :) I gave a good ride before buying it and i decided it's a good deal and will sell it if I'm wrong and it's an inappropriate size. After 4 months of riding it i can say that it fits perfectly, i kept the original stem and the saddle height is acceptable. The seller himself has the same height as me (he had another reason for selling the bike).
    I used it for commuting, but i also had some long rides with panniers as heavy as one and half of my bike :)
    As a final taught: strangely, i'm not on the chart with the sizing of this bike, but it's perfect. Thanks all from advice :)