What's considered a good speed for a woman?

VitaminC
VitaminC Posts: 12
edited June 2017 in Women's cycling forum
New to this forum.

I've been cycling for years in a very non-serious way but just recently decided to invest more time and effort into it and have joined a club. I'd like to improve.

I'm currently managing to cycle at around 16.5 mph for a shorter, flatter ride (say 25 miles and 1000 feet elevation gain) and around 14.5 mph for a longer hillier ride (say 40-50 miles with 3000 feet climbing).

Is this any good?! What should I be aiming for?!

I'm a woman in mid-30s.
Thanks

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    being a woman makes no difference to your ability until you reach the top cat riders where your physiology will hold you back compared to male counterparts.

your speed as a woman will be do different to a man at any other level.

16.5mph for 25miles is pretty much average for any club ride open to the average rider .... that's the sort of speed I do on my club runs .... the women in the club though, regularly hit 20mph on longer runs when they are not riding with me ... same age as you, but they regularily stick 2 rides in a day and 60-200 miles on weekend rides, holiday in the alps and race !

With a decent training routine and invest in time on the bike there is no reason why you cannot do that
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    As much as this may be bad advice, if you want to get an idea of how you compare to other women, you should join Strava and see how your times match up. Be aware that many times on the boards will be set on a group ride (where your average speed will often be a lot faster than solo) or even in a race (when it will be much faster!) Or in good weather conditions like a strong tailwind. But it should give you some idea at least. Also it's a handy way to see your own improvement to some extent.

Speed is dependent on so many things besides fitness. Wheel depth, position on the bike (upright vs low and aero), fast/slow tires, weight (when going uphill), also simply where you're riding -- road quality, traffic, the type of climbing involved (short sharp hills or long shallow ones). But fitness is the main thing, so just keep at it, as was said above. Ride lots, ride with different people who push your limits from time to time, ride long stuff steady, ride shorter stuff hard, do a variety of routes and terrain and you'll improve.

Does your club have different level club runs, e.g., A is the fastest, or a chaingang? Riding with clubmates is the best way to gauge your own improvement, as you start to get faster than those you rode with before, or keep up with those who dropped you in the past. Ultimately I don't think you can put a speed on it but it sounds like you're well on your way.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Maryka beat me to it - yeah Strava to check and get involved with a club. If you can do 16.5 by yourself you can do 18 in a clubride. It'll bring you along no end and show you new routes too.
  • VitaminC
    VitaminC Posts: 12
    Thanks all.

Yeah the speeds I have given above are on my own. I've been riding with a ladies' cycling group and my rides with them are slower than on my own as the speed of the group varies. As such the riders spread out quite a lot so you can't really benefit from other people's speed / use drafting techniques.

I'd like to try riding with some people who are better than me but not sure I am fast enough to join the men's ride - I don't want to hold anyone up.

I'm on Strava but I find it of limited use for seeing how my overall speed compares. I can see how my speed for the small sections compare but not for the whole ride. And I'm not sure knowing I rank 4566 out of 6547 people tells me much?! I agree it's excellent for monitoring my own progress, beating my own PRs etc

Thanks
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    any speed is a good speed. That goes for blokes too.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • TonyJams
    TonyJams Posts: 214
    Any speed is a good speed, but if possible find a good club with a choice of groups you feel comfortable with socially. Holding onto wheels when you are on your limit is a great way to get faster.
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    Where abouts are you?
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    VitaminC wrote:

I'm on Strava but I find it of limited use for seeing how my overall speed compares. I can see how my speed for the small sections compare but not for the whole ride. And I'm not sure knowing I rank 4566 out of 6547 people tells me much?! I agree it's excellent for monitoring my own progress, beating my own PRs etc

Well my take on it,is it shows you aren't last so you aren't that slow,you can break it down further on gender/age too,and if some of the segments are too short try find a stretch of road that clearly is a long stretch,the segment explorer can help and more likely to be country roads than city.

Also on my routes,I've recognised some of the profiles as women riders who race either cat3/cat2, so I figure they are pretty quick benchmark and they are usually on the climbs much quicker than I am, but on the flat I can see I'm a lot closer in comparable times and occasionally quicker.

Fwiw I manage about 15 on most rides,and I'm concentrating on extending distances,so speed is pretty static for me,but the really quick girls are hitting 17 over my same routes