Cranks turn when freewheeling...

JakeJ
JakeJ Posts: 151
edited June 2017 in Workshop
Hi Guys & Girls,

Brand new member searching for help/advice..

So, I've got a Cervelo Soloist carbon, I've had it for nearly a year now and have seriously caught the cycling bug...

So what's next? Aero wheels.

I've bought a brand new set of Mavic CXR Ultimate aero wheels, had them fitted, which included taking the brand new cassette from my standard wheels and putting it on the aero wheels (I'm mentioning this so not to miss anything out).

Now they go great and in my first two rides with them on I got two top ten medals on strava. :lol:

But something just didn't seem quite right to me, it started with the freewheel sound, it just didn't quite sound right, sometimes I can barely hear it at all, especially when say rolling the bike along from the shed out to the road, it doesn't tick at all & sometimes whilst riding I can barely hear it, then every so often I can hear it nice and clearly as it should..

So this got me thinking, so I span the bike upside down, put it into a decent gear and spun the cranks up, then when I let go, the cranks continued to spin? So there must be some resistance to it somewhere, but the bike has just been serviced which included the aforementioned new cassette & a new chain.

I'm tempted to buy the tools and take the cassette back off myself to check it out, but at the same time I don't really know what I'm looking for, I can't see how any of it could be fitted wrong if you get what I mean?

Anyway, I've attached a link to a quick video I've done of the bike spinning and my issue, you can see in the video whilst the cranks are still spinning on their own, I stopped them with my knee at which point you can hear the freewheel get louder and almost sounds like it spins faster(no resistance).

Sorry to dribble on but I've spent what to me is a ton of money on these wheels and I'm not 100% happy with the outcome, thanks in advance for any help/comments/criticism.
Jake.
https://youtu.be/5Y4TZlSTrqY < Link to my woes.

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Freewheel is probably sticking. Don't think its a big issue really - its only going to do it if there's no resistance - so when you're riding - it won't happen.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,148
    if they're brand new wheels it may simply be excess grease on the freewheel mechanism

when freewheeling the grease is creating enough resistance to drag things around, excess grease will also make it quiet

just ride it a bit, as the grease gets squished out it should get louder and not drag
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Seconded, non issue and (while I understand it) your overthinking it.

No freewheel is resistance-less in operation so it's common for them to spin the cranks to an extent.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • LimitedGarry
    LimitedGarry Posts: 400
    If it's brand new, there might be some run-in period. I've seen this on a number of bikes, both old and new. Personally don't think it's really a big deal.
    To be safe, inform the retailer of this so that they know it is a day-one issue. Only RMA it should some problematic symptoms arise.