Changing from Defy to TCR/Supersix - any experiences?

JACE100
JACE100 Posts: 47
edited June 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I currently own a 3 year old Defy 3 and am looking to upgrade. I'm tempted to switch to something a bit more racy and light, such as the TCR or Supersix Evo.

I know the geometry is a bit more aggressive but has anyone got any experience of how much difference I can expect? Is it just slightly noticeable or would it really be a massive change?

P.s I know the stock answer is to try and ride one, however it is very difficult to find store which have small frame sizes instore!

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    No I don't, however you can start by slamming the stem, in the negative orientation, on your Defy to the bottom of the steerer tube, if you haven't already done so.

Small Defy
    TT 530mm
    HT 145mm
    Reach 373mm
    Stack 546mm

Small TCR
    TT 535mm
    HT 133mm
    Reach 378mm
    Stack 529mm
  • I started a similar thread a while ago. My stem was slammed on ml defy apart from the large headset cover . I now have a medium tcr With slammed stem and it is awesome. It is a big change but if you use spacers not so much . I just slammed mine straight away, just for looks before I rode it and when I did it just felt more comfortable to me than the more upright position of the defy and the trc feels so much faster . Use the figures of the geometry of both bikes like dj has said and you can't go wrong ...much.
  • JACE100
    JACE100 Posts: 47
    Thanks for the replies so far.

The easy choice would be to upgrade to a Defy Advanced as I know the geometry, however they weigh more than the TCRs and also I don't really need discs as I don't tend to cycle to much in the rain.

Is the change in geometry enough to cause back/neck ache if you're not used to it? Or is riding on the hoods of the TCR roughly the same as using the drops on my current Defy?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    JACE100 wrote:
    Or is riding on the hoods of the TCR roughly the same as using the drops on my current Defy?

There's no real answer to that. The fit is adjustable on both, so the point is pretty much moot anyway...
  • warrior4life
    warrior4life Posts: 925
    I've owned all three.

In order of preference
    1st Supersix
    2nd Defy
    3rd TCR

All three were great, I feel like the Supersix has the comfort of the Defy with the raciness of the TCR.
    I thought the Defy was an amazing bike, every bit as stiff as the TCR with a little added comfort and a small weight penalty.

I used the same SRAM red/Force groupset and wheel on the Defy and TCR and so I could really feel the difference in the frame, I had the set up basically the same, 15mm spacers under the bars on the TCR and the Defy was slammed.

Speed wise there's no real difference. For me the Supersix is just a lovely bike, very fast, comfy and light.