Recommendations for a rack mount rear light

arthur_scrimshaw
arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
edited June 2017 in Commuting general
As above, anyone got a suggestion for a good taillight that fits on the bracket standard on most pannier racks. I would like it to be usb chargeable and include a reflector - not too bothered about the price. Most of the big lights which include a rear reflector are battery powered. I have rack mounting brackets for Cateye lights so could go this route and fit a separate reflector I suppose. What are my other options?

TIA

Comments

• wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    As above, anyone got a suggestion for a good taillight that fits on the bracket standard on most pannier racks. I would like it to be usb chargeable and include a reflector - not too bothered about the price. Most of the big lights which include a rear reflector are battery powered. I have rack mounting brackets for Cateye lights so could go this route and fit a separate reflector I suppose. What are my other options?

TIA

I spent a long time looking at this in sept last year, didn't really find one I "loved", as most of the built in reflector ones, are, as you say, battery lights as really they are modifications of dynamo based lights, and by using a normal battery allows them to remain screwed to the bike/frame without having to remove it to recharge.

I ended up going fenderbot thing for the mudguard mount, meaning a low level/backup light & reflector and this then left me space on the rack for a Moon Shield blinder.
    2 lights is better than 1 on the rear - you never know when one has died mid ride, leaving you lightless.

If you "really" need USB rechargeable, get some USB re-chargeable batteries, they are getting better every day, but you'll lose 0.4-0.6 V (rechargeable AA batterys are 1.2v compared to 1.5v for non-rechargeable), meaning that the light won't be as bright...
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have a moon comet xp which is tiny, USB rechargeable and blinding. If I ever get round to fitting the rack I've had for 7 years I'll get a rack mount for it. I already have a reflector on my rear mudguard, and at night I'm usually wearing stuff with loads of reflective anyway