OT - Polling Place?

elbowloh
elbowloh Posts: 7,078
edited June 2017 in Commuting chat
Now, this is to do with the election, but not really.

It's a Polling Station and has always been a polling station (to me anyway), but recently in the TV and print media I've seen signs for "polling place". From my avid watching of The West Wing, this is the American term.

When did this start creeping in?
Felt F1 2014
Felt Z6 2012
Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
Tall....
www.seewildlife.co.uk

Comments

• smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    Not noticed. But it wouldnt surprise me that is part of massive conspiricy to turn us into the 51st state of America once brexit is done and dusted.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,731
    Think Polling place is used more in Scotland.
    What is a Polling Place?

A polling place is a the particular building where people go to cast their vote(s) during elections. This may be a local school, hall, leisure/community centre or sports club.

What is a Polling Station?

A polling station is located within a polling place. There may be more than one polling station in a polling place. Each polling station has a Presiding Officer and a Polling Clerk, who issue ballot papers to a pre-allocated number of voters living at addresses in a set area around the polling station. When you go to a polling place with more than one station there will be a street list displayed which tells you which station to go to collect your ballot paper. It is important that you return your ballot paper to the ballot box at the same polling station at which you were given your paper.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,029
    I blame all those American immigrants invading our shores.;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    Think Polling place is used more in Scotland.

Sure is, and has been for at least 40 years that I have personal recollection of.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    It's still a polling station in Lincoln, I have just voted