Waterproofing a Garmin - hack for missing USB cover?

craker
craker Posts: 1,739
edited June 2017 in Workshop
Garmin Edge 500 with a missing USB port cover - any quick ways of stopping the water getting in?

Ta

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Cling film? With a hole for pressure port.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • craker
    Yes that could work, cheers.

OK, so would you ride a wet 140 mile sportive on your best bike, best bike with race blades (if I can get some) or the commuter with its wrap around guards (heavy wheels, rack...)?
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Best bike with Swan-R (Ass Saver at a pinch) and wearing overshoes. If it's wet, you're going to get wet anyway - it's just nice not to have fresh, cold, water running down your crack all day.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Blue tack ?
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Phone up Garmin support. They sent me one for my 500 free of charge.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    craker wrote:
    Yes that could work, cheers.

OK, so would you ride a wet 140 mile sportive on your best bike, best bike with race blades (if I can get some) or the commuter with its wrap around guards (heavy wheels, rack...)?

Can you swap the wheels over ? I'd rather go full guards if you can.
  • craker
    Fenix wrote:

Can you swap the wheels over ? I'd rather go full guards if you can.

Yes that's an option, I just don't think it's a great one for 140 miles! But then neither's riding through heavy rain _all_ day. Who'd have thought we'd have this much rain in South Wales in June, huh?

I've also some sympathy with MRS's view that mudguards just wont keep me dry. Just man up and get on with it. etc etc
  • craker
    craker wrote:
    OK, so would you ride a wet 140 mile sportive

Oh hang on, the Dragon ride is Sunday, not Saturday! Feckin' hell, do the homework... Sunday is looking not so awful in Port Talbot.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I did 100 on my winter bike on Sunday = just as I was leaving to meet my mates the tyre on the summer bike blew.

Winter bike is definitely heavier than the summer one, and the tyres are thicker and heavier - but 100 miles wasn't a drama. If your winter bike is decent and you've done your winter miles on it then it'll work fine. 7 hours plus out on the bike with no guards in the wet doesn't sound like much fun - you'd be far drier with guards.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    I use a little piece of electrical insulating tape over the mini-USB port of my motorcycling sat nav (with a missing cover).
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    bobones wrote:
    Phone up Garmin support. They sent me one for my 500 free of charge.
    This
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,641
    craker wrote:
    Sunday is looking not so awful in Port Talbot.
    Every day is awful in Port Talbot.