What makes a good hydration pack

ageis
ageis Posts: 49
edited June 2017 in MTB beginners
Hi,

I only have a 750ml water bottle!!

I'm going to Hong Kong on 15th june so I don't want to end up getting heat stroke.

It's also my first time biking in 30 degress heat and am less than ideally fit.

So I was wondering what do you guys look for in a hydration pack?

How about the bite valve which ones are good which ones are bad.

Comments

• figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    I have a Kriega Hydro 3 and love it. I come from motorcycling where Kriega are well-respected for their quality luggage and this is just the same. Very well-made and well thought-out. The bladder can hold up to 3 litres, although this compromises what you can then carry in the zipped pocket. However, I also have a Kriega US-10 pack which can be strapped to the Hydro 3 to add 10 litres of absolutely waterproof carrying capacity.

For me it is about comfort and capacity - 3 litres is a much as I ever want to carry (I rarely fill it right up) and the shoulder straps with their sternum catch really keeps the weight well-distributed. Build quality is outstanding - I have worn this for several years, crashed with it on, covered it in mud, sweated all over it and never done more than brush it down and carry on and there is no damage, fraying, rotting or other marks other than the dirt. The bladder opens fully across the top, so is very easy to fill. The bite valve is still the original and still seals fine. I have in the past forgotten it over a long period without drying/washing it and there has never been any mould or other issues (I only put water in it - I use a bottle for energy drinks if I need them).

Kriega stuff isn't cheap but for good reason.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • LimitedGarry
    LimitedGarry Posts: 400
    If you can, just mount two bottle-cages. I often do rides that are over 100km long and the temps are sometimes 35°C. When it's so hot, my number one priority is to not carry a backpack. And really, on a ride that long, there's always an opportunity to get a refill somewhere.
  • Comfort and size for me. I go on short rides with a Camelbak Rogue - just enough for tools, inner tubes, wallet and keys.
    Any other ride (coast-to-coast or anything over 3 hours), I use an Osprey Raptor 22L (not sure of they make them that size anymore).
    The most comfortable backpack I have ever owned. Venting is great - it allows air down your back, so it doesn't get too sweaty. Good hydro pack with magnetic clip so the nozzle doesn't flap about. Enough room for a change of clothes.
    As mentioned by someone above - I don't use energy supplements in there, so there isn't a build up of mould or gunk.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    One thing about hydration packs is that you dont really know how much you are drinking / have left.

So I'd go with bottles if you can.

Failing that - its a piece of plastic with a hose on. It's not that tricky to make.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    Fenix wrote:
    One thing about hydration packs is that you dont really know how much you are drinking / have left.

So I'd go with bottles if you can.
    Well, if you put in "enough" for your plans and you have none left, you've drunk "enough". And if you haven't drunk "enough" so there is still liquid left you'll have some to spare.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • OMark
    OMark Posts: 23
    In super hot conditions I think it's key to have a pack with a mesh suspension system, this gives you an air space between your pack and back. The ones Osprey puts out are my personal favorites.