Rockshox Monarch Tunes

mark_fogel
mark_fogel Posts: 158
edited June 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Anyone knows where I can find information on Monarch R/RT3 shock tunes? Cant seem to find the info on the RockShox website or Google. My current tune is MH according to the sticker, I want to upgrade to an RT3 with either MM or ML3 but not sure whats the actual difference and what I need?
My MH shock appears to ramp up too quick when set to 25% sag and I never get the full travel, however when dropping to 30% sag it feels very good when descending however I get way too much pedal bob when climbing. I weight 90kg if it makes a difference?
Please can anyone help me with this?

Cheers,
Mark

Comments

• swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I'd say speak with tftuned or one of the other mtb suspension servicing/tuning companies they will be best to advise.

You might just need the debonair air can fitting to your rear shock, I have read that this can help improve the shock.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    there isn't much difference in the shim stack between L-M and M-H

are you getting too much bob with the lever turned to pedal and standing up or is this sitting down? what bike is it on also?
  • mark_fogel
    POAH wrote:
    there isn't much difference in the shim stack between L-M and M-H

are you getting too much bob with the lever turned to pedal and standing up or is this sitting down? what bike is it on also?

Its a Monarch R without any adjustment except rebound on a Boardman Team FS 650b 2014

This is the shock:
    https://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/ ... 2epm2r7ybx

Currently on 25% sag is acceptable however feels very stiff over bumps and doesn't allow me to go as fast as I would like to downhill. Doesnt seem to bob when sitting however I do get some moment when standing up which I think is normal. At 30% I get too much bob and pedaling becomes inefficient, especially climbing over rough terrain the shock doesn't seem to offer enough support and just moves through the travel making it harder to go over bumps/rocks etc. One the reasons I would like to upgrade is to have the ability to either lock or stiffen up the shock using the RT3 or similar system.

Thanks
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    honestly you are better off buying a new shock but I wouldn't bother with the RT3 its not hugly different in compression damping and the rebound is the same as the R.
  • mark_fogel
    POAH wrote:
    honestly you are better off buying a new shock but I wouldn't bother with the RT3 its not hugly different in compression damping and the rebound is the same as the R.

Yeah I am not thinking about modding the Monarch R I want to replace all together, If not RT3 what would you recommend?