Most reliable chain speed to go for?

bobbydigital
bobbydigital Posts: 254
edited June 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Not sure if that title makes sense.

I'm building a project for myself and don't really use the 3 x 9 on my current bike, 2 x 9 would be fine for me as I never use the biggest ring on the crank but was wondering what would be the best option for me to choose.

2 x 10, 2 x 9, 2 x 8 or something else?

I only do light riding but I cover a far few miles off road when I'm in the right mood.
The project I'm building isn't anything special and I'm not a pro rider, far from it, I just want something that's going to do the distance without too much fuss. I do have some parts laying around, SRAM X7 2x 10 derailleurs but wasn't to ask here first before I go and find some shifters, they are just spares.

Also I guess I could just take the biggest chainring off the crank and run 2 speed that way?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yep, just bin the ring you don't use....you'll need shorter bolts or a metal bash though as the bots will be too long otherwise.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    If 2x9 will be fine for you I'd suggest 2x9??
  • bobbydigital
    I wasn't sure if the chain of an 8 speed would be stronger to warrant going 8 speed, I've had a few 9 speed chains break but maybe it's just the sram chain in question PC951 ii.

Wasn't sure if the ratio of 10 speed would give any more top speed for when I am on the road.

I say 2 x 9 is fine for me because that's what I use with my 3 x 9 set up but still could be other better options but I've only ever had bikes which are 3 x 9.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Is your current gears and chain etc worn as you could just upgrade it out to a 1x10. I've not looked at 9 speed for while the prices seemed much more than 10 speed.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The smallest sprocket on a 10 speed is the same 11t as 9 speed, so you need a bigger chainring to go faster.

Don't use SRAM chains, use KMC, much better!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bobbydigital
    swod1 wrote:
    Is your current gears and chain etc worn as you could just upgrade it out to a 1x10. I've not looked at 9 speed for while the prices seemed much more than 10 speed.

It will be on a new project bike so I can pretty much start from scratch, I do have quite a few 2 x 10 sram stuff and some SLX rear 10 speeds from joblots I've bought, I have an unused new deore fc-m590 crank that I guess I could buy a 10 speed chainring for.
    The Rookie wrote:
    The smallest sprocket on a 10 speed is the same 11t as 9 speed, so you need a bigger chainring to go faster.

Don't use SRAM chains, use KMC, much better!

That makes sense, gearing would be for the hills rather than top speed.

I'll have to look in to chainrings and see how many ratios are out there.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Depending on your fitness the usual size chain ring for 1x setups is 30, 32 or even 34 and then whatever range cassette you want to use. I have a 34t oval and a sunrace mx8 11-40 cassette and it gets me up a lot of hills that before I would have just got off any walked up.

Its just try it and see as these 1x chain rings isn't expensive so if 32 isn't enough or too much you can easily swap it out.
  • For reliability 1x can't be beaten. It depends what you're after though- either low cost or reliability. I switched to 1x11 earlier this year from a 3x9 setup on my XC bike- still running vintage XTR/XT parts I'd kept in good shape for years. I don't miss the dropped chains and noise- also saved some weight.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    electric assist for you.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    you need to google the info but narrower chains, after 8 speed have thinner side plates, so in theory they are weaker.

.... but I read somewhere on the web that narrower chains are stronger so who knows?

a quality chain by kmc or shimano should not snap under normal use.
  • darkhairedlord
    I have only snapped a chain once. It was on i bike i found in a ditch after I got a puncture on my camper-van.
    It was somewhat rusty and unlubricated while the gear cable to the sturmey archer 3sp was broken. Rode OK in third to work and back for about a week before the chain snapped and it was abandoned outside the paper-shop.
  • LimitedGarry
    LimitedGarry Posts: 400
    Narrower chains are higher quality than wider chains. Naturally, this is a rule of the thumb, doesn't apply every time everywhere. One could argue that in most cases, better materials are just good enough to make up for the thinner plates, so that the chains are equal.
    Either way, the common statement that 10 and 11 speed chains wear out faster or break more easily is not true, at least not universally. However, there is the problem of premature wear indication - since the higher gear chains need to be able to flex more (relative to their width), some chain measuring methods will indicate a worn chain before the chain is actually worn (more play in the links). There's a bunch of topics about it around the interwebs if you want to know more.

Many people use 9 speed stuff for the price and reliability. Some use 10 speed chains with 9 speed stuff for the better performance (namely the Shimano XT directional chains which shift like a dream). The downside is that there are no 9 speed clutch derailleurs and wide range 9 speed cassettes are rather obscure. The best you normally get is 12-36.

Personally use a Shimano XT crankset with 36-26 chainrings (meant for 11 speed) and a 12-36 cassette.
    Used to rock a 1x9, which was fine for my winter riding, but after I got more into climbing and descending, it made me wish for a higher range. My current setup feels absolutely spot-on for my needs.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    There is so much nonsense in this ^^^^^^^ I won't even bother.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • darkhairedlord
    just put a cassette & RD on the front and have done with it.