Best value finishing kit

birdie23
birdie23 Posts: 457
edited June 2017 in Road buying advice
Exactly what the title says really. I'm looking for bars (42cm wide, compact drops), stem 110mm and seatpost 27.2mm. Don't want to break the bank so best value for money weight/quality wise is what I'm looking for. Aluminium is the material preference and for reference they'll be replacing stock Cannondale C3 kit
2012 Cube Agree GTC

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I tend to go onto the usual suspects, select price low to high and see what comes up.

You'll find a lot of stuff with colour ways from a couple of years ago going dirt cheap.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Dead zero 1 is about the best value in my experience.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Deda is good, i also like Pro for value, maybe you can stretch for Ritchey
  • Zipp service course, if you go standard rather than SL you can get bars/stem/post for around £100.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    NapoleonD wrote:

+1 for Deda for vfm. You can do handlebars, stem and seatpost for 60 quid (though maybe not Zero 1.) And I like the shape of their RHM 2 compact bars.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Dead 1 bars stem and post is 42 quid from ribble.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Deda all the way.

Zero 1, 2 or 100 depending on how much you want to spend.
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    Deda Zero 100 stems are £31 at Wiggle at the mo, can't be beaten for value at that price, I just ordered a 110mm, 123g on the scales.

Match it up with the bars and stem or knock it back to Zero 2 to save a bit of cash.

A carbon seat post is definitely worth it though, Deda Superzero are normally around £80.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • birdie23
    Thanks all, looks like Deda Zero 100 is right on the money for what I'm looking for.

Matt, what's the main advantage? I know it should add some comfort but I've never found the ride too harsh with the alloy posts I've used previous. Though I will say I haven't ridden on the C3 much yet as the CAAD10 I've acquired with it on is waiting to get stripped and rebuilt once the parts arrive and I do know the CAAD10 has a rep of being a harsh ride even though I found it fine for the 20 or so miles I've ridden.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • matt_n-2
    Carbon fibre by its very nature reduces vibration and harshness, so it gives some comfort.

On a CAAD, I've not ridden one before btw but do have an aluminium Colnago Dream, I would say a carbon post will only add comfort and take some of the sting out of the tail that an aluminium frame can sometimes provide.

I had all alloy finishing kit on it until recently and then switched to a carbon post and fork, it's made it a lot better on longer rides.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
  • roubaixmb
    roubaixmb Posts: 182
    Matt_N wrote:
    Carbon fibre by its very nature reduces vibration and harshness, so it gives some comfort.

On a CAAD, I've not ridden one before btw but do have an aluminium Colnago Dream, I would say a carbon post will only add comfort and take some of the sting out of the tail that an aluminium frame can sometimes provide.

I had all alloy finishing kit on it until recently and then switched to a carbon post and fork, it's made it a lot better on longer rides.

I put a carbon post on my Caad8 - as Matt says, it takes some of the sting out of the tail
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    edited June 2017
    Ritchey WCS
    Pro PLT
    Zipp SL handlebars
    Kalloy UNO Stem
    Cannondale C1,C2

Even better if you buy used on Ebay/classifieds
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    NapoleonD wrote:

This. 3T pro level isn't bad if on offer
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • Merlin Cycles stock Forza finishing kits. They use Forza on their high end bikes. It's reasonably priced. Carbon and aluminium to choose from.
  • birdie23
    I've pulled the trigger on a Deda Zero 100 stem and bars and a Deda Superzero carbon post
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • matt_n-2
    Good choice.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced