Summer cycling jerseys and bibs.

JesseD
JesseD Posts: 1,961
edited June 2017 in Road buying advice
I am off to Southern Spain in September to spend a week riding the mountains and fancy buying some new kit to take with me.

Dont want to spend the earth but would like some decent designs plus some good quality kit.

Will be buying some of the DHB stuff from Wiggle, but also wondered what other kit manufacturers are out there which make decent kit at a reasonable price. I think stuff like Rapha and Castelli, albeit cool looking kit, will be out of my reach and I also like kit by MAAP or Attaquer but again they are pricey.

What else should I be looking at?

Oh and I would prefer kit that is race fit (snug), have longer length sleeves (just above elbow sort of length) with the gel gripper stuff as opposed to elastic, and the same on the shorts.

Any suggestions?
Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Got a couple of pieces from here, quality is good for the price. Mostly like the designs and not too well known either;
    http://atout.cc
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    If you can wait till nearer the time, this summer's colours will be on special. I just wore my Castelli climber's jersey for the first time last week and loved it. Would be too steep for me at full price, but for climbing in hot weather it was lovely.
  • blackstar500
    blackstar500 Posts: 139
    bought from here recently ... http://galibier.cc/ decent colour and price
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    La Passione. Race fit jerseys with nice, long sleeves.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    MrB123 wrote:

Only have a couple of their jerseys, but their bibs are virtually my favourites - just the classic ones.

More recently I have bought some Pactimo jerseys which are very nice, and there is currently a 30% discount code.
    Their shorts are well reviewed and have stonking pads so I hear, but alas the straps are too loose for me, so have never been able to try and in anger :?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • mrb123
    Daniel B wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:

Only have a couple of their jerseys, but their bibs are virtually my favourites - just the classic ones.

More recently I have bought some Pactimo jerseys which are very nice, and there is currently a 30% discount code.
    Their shorts are well reviewed and have stonking pads so I hear, but alas the straps are too loose for me, so have never been able to try and in anger :?

Yeah, the Pactimo bibs are my absolute faves. At 6'4" the stretchy bibs are an advantage!
  • daniel_b
    MrB123 wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:

Yeah, the Pactimo bibs are my absolute faves. At 6'4" the stretchy bibs are an advantage!

Yes I bet!

Out of interest, what is your genuine inseam?
    I'm 5ft 10"\34" inseam
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • mrb123
    I'm usually 35" inseam for trousers.

The Summit Raptor bibs with the longer leg length are perfect for me in size medium. Nice long leg length (Just above the knee, which I like) but bibs stretchy enough not to be too tight.

I recently got some of the new Rapha Pro Team bibs which are an inch or two shorter in the leg even in the longer length size, plus I had to go for large as the bib straps would have been too tight in medium.
  • daniel_b
    MrB123 wrote:

The Summit Raptor bibs with the longer leg length are perfect for me in size medium. Nice long leg length (Just above the knee, which I like) but bibs stretchy enough not to be too tight.

I recently got some of the new Rapha Pro Team bibs which are an inch or two shorter in the leg even in the longer length size, plus I had to go for large as the bib straps would have been too tight in medium.

Ah ok, fair enough, huge difference in torso length, but not so much in led length.
    I can squeeze into XS Rapha summer bibs, and Small Core and Pro Team bibs - I opted for regular length, though with the Endura FS 260's I much prefer the longer length leg, the regular ones are toooo short.

Useful info on the long length raptors - should I ever try any again, think the long ones will be way too long for me!
    I have messaged them to ask if they have considered making any with different length straps, seeing as they do leg length already......
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I quite like the DHB stuff although my favorite summer jersey is the Viner one from planet x.
    It's a really good fit for me and nice and thin.
  • mrb123
    Daniel B wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:

Ah ok, fair enough, huge difference in torso length, but not so much in led length.
    I can squeeze into XS Rapha summer bibs, and Small Core and Pro Team bibs - I opted for regular length, though with the Endura FS 260's I much prefer the longer length leg, the regular ones are toooo short.

Useful info on the long length raptors - should I ever try any again, think the long ones will be way too long for me!
    I have messaged them to ask if they have considered making any with different length straps, seeing as they do leg length already......

I'm not sure if the Ascent line might be better for you as they appear to me made of different (possibly less stretchy?) stuff than the Summit bibs.
  • daniel_b
    It's actually only the Raptors I have tried. I do like the look of the Ascent ones, though all the model names confuse me (assume it is just the pattern) and they have an inferior pad to the raptors, but assume it must still be pretty good.

Other thing is, a lot of them say they are made to order, which I assume means you potentially can't return them.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Thanks Guys, great suggestions!

Think I am going to order a couple of kits from La Passione, price is very good and I really like the designs, and will also buy a couple of DHB kits too (I have an old DHB Bloc kit which is about 2 years old and still going strong!)

Whats the quality like on the Galibier jerseys and shorts? A club mate has a pair of their overshoes which fell apart quite quickly which is not ideal, am hoping the clothing is better as I may pull the trigger on the AIX jersey as well (shame they dont do matching shorts)

I have 2 sets of club kit as well so i think 6 kits for 6 days riding should suffice!
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • shamrock134
    shamrock134 Posts: 714
    La Passione lightweight jerseys look good, anybody used one in 30C?

I'm after something mesh-like and super light for Mallorca but the Rapha Flyweights are a bit pricey.
  • coops1967
    coops1967 Posts: 99
    Desoto skin cooler jersey, or maybe even more useful is the long sleeve non-zipped tri top... i've beem using this here in Bangkok, good for sun protection, comfortable - and the skin cooler beanie heat is great for keeping sweat out of the eyes too while wicking away sweat...

https://www.desotosport.com/collections ... 1425044691
  • daniel_b
    I have only bought one Galibier jersey, and that was for my gf, but the quality seemed very good for the money, nice cut and material.

I have one pair of their shorts, £48 pair, and they have a very good pad, I tend to use it for longer turbo sessions, but that was the reason I bought it - would have no hesitation in purchasing the same or a different pair.

Also have a couple of their jackets, and my best piece of Galibier kit is the foul weather gilet - cracking bit of kit, with pockets on it too!

Surprised to hear about your mates overshoes - I expect if he had contacted them they would have sorted him out, and replaced or refunded him - they are pretty hot on good customer service.
    JesseD wrote:
    Thanks Guys, great suggestions!

Think I am going to order a couple of kits from La Passione, price is very good and I really like the designs, and will also buy a couple of DHB kits too (I have an old DHB Bloc kit which is about 2 years old and still going strong!)

Whats the quality like on the Galibier jerseys and shorts? A club mate has a pair of their overshoes which fell apart quite quickly which is not ideal, am hoping the clothing is better as I may pull the trigger on the AIX jersey as well (shame they dont do matching shorts)

I have 2 sets of club kit as well so i think 6 kits for 6 days riding should suffice!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Not sure if it's in your price range but Chapeau kit is really nice. I just bought one of their jerseys and will get some more, top notch imo.