triban 500 se question

blackstar500
blackstar500 Posts: 139
edited June 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi

I am completely new to cycling and currently use a triban 500 se 8 speed to do my commuting .. The issue I have is that my rear derailleur is very nosiy when I am cycling , tried cleaning it but did not resolve the issue and wanted to know whether I could just buy another rear derailleur and fit to my bike without changing the entire group set

Thanks

Comments

• mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    To answer your question - Yes you could get any Shimano / Microshift 8 speed rear mech (I think the SE uses Mucroshift which is Shimano compatible) and that may improve things (Shimano Claris or Tourney etc) however I would suggest that the issue is due to one or all of the following:

* Incorrectly indexed gears / limit screws - Typically signs of this would be having some gears work fine and others being noisy but not always the case - Either check yourself or have it checket at the LBS
    * Bent rear mech - if the rear mech is bent laterally then it could through the alignment causing noisy gears
    * Dirty / Rusty chain etc - Check your chain is not rusty and also make sure its not stretched - If you have done less than 1000 miles its unlikely to be stretched

A mechanical rear mech is a very dumb thing its basically a cable operated spring so a 'fancy' rear mech is just a spring made with lighter materials so I suspect the issue is one of the above points.

Hope that helps
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    Note - I should have mentioned that I had a Triban 500 (not the SE) for several months running Microshift R8 components the same as the SE and they were fine - Very quiet and worked faultlessly - That being said this is only because I set them up myself as the 'mechanic' that did it in the shop barely knew which way to hold a wrench.

If my experience is anything to go by with Decathlon then the problem is probably the rear mech is not setup properly.

Maybe worth getting a decent local bike shop (LBS) to give it a once over
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Yepp, I am not sure what a noisy RD actually is! OP, find out which gear the drivechain is the noisiest in, and then upend the bike at home and rotate the pedals slowly and see if you can see/hear what is causing the noise. It could well be a slight misalignment of the indexing so that the chain is clicking off/on the cog and it rotates, all easily fixed. As suggested above though, it could be chain or several other things. It might be worth having a think as to what "noisy" means. A screechy noise is more likely to indicate something needs a lube, such as jockey wheels.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I think it's just not set up brilliantly. a RD won't be noisy unless something is wrong. So you could replace it and if the gears aren;t set 100% properly - it'll still be noisy
  • blackstar500
    Thank guys for the insight. I have changed the Cassette and chain. Watched a few YouTube on gear indexing and carried it out but still have noise coming from the rear mech. As a last resort I have ordered a new shimano Claris medium rear derailiiur ...

Or does the back wheel need truing?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Thank guys for the insight. I have changed the Cassette and chain. Watched a few YouTube on gear indexing and carried it out but still have noise coming from the rear mech. As a last resort I have ordered a new shimano Claris medium rear derailiiur ...

Have you routed the chain around the jockey wheels correctly.....?
    And also in the right orientation?
    Assuming the latter is still a thing.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • blackstar500
    Daniel B wrote:

Have you routed the chain around the jockey wheels correctly.....?
    And also in the right orientation?
    Assuming the latter is still a thing.

Please expand on what you mean by...right orientation
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If the chain is routed wrongly between the jockey wheels it goes the wrong side of a little tab and rubs on it making a racket, it should go the other side of the tab and not touch it, I see a lot routed the wrong side.

See pics towards the bottom
    http://bikesonrobson.com/chain-installa ... eur-bikes/
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.