Saint or Zee brakes?

robthehungrymonkey
robthehungrymonkey Posts: 616
edited June 2017 in MTB buying advice
So,

I am replacing my SRAM guide's, and want to go Shimano (mineral oil and matching with the rest of the shed). I also want to stick with 4 pots.

I understand that feel wise, there really isn't much (if any difference). So are the Saint's worth the extra £45? Basically for the looks and levers.
http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Looks, levers and weight.

Braking power is the same.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I think saints just have the free stroke adjustment and tool less lever reach. If you don't need any of these then get the zee brakes.

I'm on the look out for a good offer on a zee or saint front brake as I think my xt m785 I currently have on my bike is on the way out.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I've used both on a few different bikes. There's bugger all in it for feel, power, control or bite. I'd go for the Zee's
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    got zee's on my hornet and then bought saint for the suppressor. both work the same but saints look nicer which is why I bought them :D
  • POAH wrote:
    got zee's on my hornet and then bought saint for the suppressor. both work the same but saints look nicer which is why I bought them :D

LOL. Kind of my issue... Ha. For £45, do I just buy the top end ones, which looks shiny??

Is there any difference to the levers apart from the tool-less adjustment?
    http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.
  • poah
    nope, levers are the same but the reservoir is shaped differently
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    POAH wrote:

I'd buy hope tech 3's if you want the bling factor on your bike.
  • poah
    swod1 wrote:
    POAH wrote:

I'd buy hope tech 3's if you want the bling factor on your bike.

hope aren't blingy, they use DOT fluid, don't match with shimano shifters and cost (at the time) a lot more for no performance benefit.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    There's no difference in terms of feel. The calipers are identical apart from the finish on some of the fittings. The Zee levers are fine most of the time but if you're in the habit of cooking your brakes Saint's tool-free adjusters come in handy.

Personally I wouldn't want to be reminded of the £45 I'd saved every time I braked.