Torque wrench purchase

Crazyjenkins01
Crazyjenkins01 Posts: 409
edited June 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey guys,

Need to look for a small setting torque wrench.
Have been looking at the Park Tools TW 5.2 but wondering if there are any other options for a little less wonga????

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Learn to do it by feel! Cheapest and for an experienced spanner merchant it actually gives better tensile load results than a torque wrench.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I bought a M Part torque wrench because it has a good signal when the torque is reached, the head clicks. Only criticism I have is due to parallax with the scale seemingly being a long way from the graduations it'd be easy to set to the wrong values. If I was buying another one it would be with a vernier type setting, such as the Teng 1492AG-E, 5-25 Nm or a 5Nm Park tool will do the majority of common adjustments.
  • That's a good shout Rookie, problem being I do this at work for values in the 10x what my bike needs!!!

Thanks for input Paul
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    Surely the "learn to do it by feel" perspective may lead to "learning" incidents where expensive items are trashed because your hands didn't yet know the difference between a suitable force and a crushing force? Or alternatively components come loose because you were too cautious?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • davesnothere
    davesnothere Posts: 620
    I bought the lifeline one (they seem to have rebranded as x-tools) - less than £30

Works perfectly, the click when you reach torque setting is quite subtle but you get the hang of it pretty quick

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/x-tools-essential-torque-wrench-set/
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • My only experience is with the Lifeline Essential one for about £20, but it does me fine for the headset and stem bolts - not carbon, so I'm not overly concerned. A lot of chat in the reviews about the torque limit feedback mechanism being subtle, but personally I think it's bloody obvious.
  • LimitedGarry
    LimitedGarry Posts: 400
    larkim wrote:
    Surely the "learn to do it by feel" perspective may lead to "learning" incidents where expensive items are trashed because your hands didn't yet know the difference between a suitable force and a crushing force? Or alternatively components come loose because you were too cautious?
    ´
    You know, judging by what I've seen so far, majority of professional mechanics do not reach for a torque wrench unless handling carbon components, which rely greatly on grip paste.
    While there's a good reason why torque specs exist from an engineering point of view, they're in most cases simply guidelines, more than actual requirements. Kinda like "do not clamp the dropper" or "do not degrease the cassette while it's on the freehub".
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,194
    I bought the lifeline one (they seem to have rebranded as x-tools) - less than £30

Works perfectly, the click when you reach torque setting is quite subtle but you get the hang of it pretty quick

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/x-tools-essential-torque-wrench-set/
    Just got this wrench delivered ex Wiggle, 24 without the heads. 1/4" drive which fits std small socket / hex heads. Is fine.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    I bought a M Part torque wrench because it has a good signal when the torque is reached, the head clicks. Only criticism I have is due to parallax with the scale seemingly being a long way from the graduations it'd be easy to set to the wrong values. If I was buying another one it would be with a vernier type setting, such as the Teng 1492AG-E, 5-25 Nm or a 5Nm Park tool will do the majority of common adjustments.

I have the m part torque wrench; as above - there is Vernier on the twist handle so it is not too hard to figure out the setting.

it is this one.
    bbb-drehmomentschluessel-01.jpg

re doing up by feel - it was ok for stell and aluminium frames and but for carbon fibre parts which are much easier to crush, a torque wrench is much recommended. doing up seat clamp bolts according to torque has meant I have not had a post slip - doing up by feel until it is "tight enough" was a bit of hit and miss.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    There's been a few group tests done in the mags. Google for results. Tbh I do it by hand on my carbon post and frame and no dramas yet Nd it's been a good few years.