Optimum bike type for occasional etape, bit of weekend riding and that can cope with LEJOG with pann

oscarman
oscarman Posts: 3
edited June 2017 in Road buying advice
Perhaps an impossible question but I have a budget of c. £1000 and I want to get a bike that I can use for an etape or two, for some weekend riding (not racing) and that is man enough and comfortable to cope with panniered LEJOG next year.
Key attributes needed are:
Comfortable/relaxed riding position (I'm not a racer)
Gear ratios that will easily cope with hills (I'm not a racer!)
Disc brakes (probably cable for ease of maintenance)
Something that looks good (most pure touring bikes look pretty dull)

Would the "adventure" bike type meet all these needs?
Any suggested models for my budget?

Comments

• chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    Ribble CGR seems to fit the bill...

http://road.cc/content/review/215760-ribble-cgr
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Adventure bike is probably your best bet as they seem to come kitted out with the appropriate mounting points. My Jamis Renegade, for instance, has 3 bottle holder mounts (two could be used for water and one for a tool bottle for instance). That said, there's a lot of overlap of features between Adventure, Gravel and CX bikes (the latter least likely to have rack mounts and most likely to have a CX group set which tends to have a narrower range of gears. The often have a high BB position too which I have found can give me toe overlap issues)

When I bought my Jamis, it was the best equipped bike of its type at that price point (high quality wheel set for instance) so it's worth looking at the Renegade model that's in your budget. Probably worth checking out the Boardman CX at that price too (remembering you can get a 10% discount with a British Cycling membership as I think you can too at Chain Reactions and others).

Because £1000 is the cycle to work price "limit" there's probably quite a few bikes at or around that figure.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Take a look at the PX London Road range.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/road ... ondon-road

You can satisfy all of your requirements with the SRAM Rival 22 version with cable AVID BB7 disc brakes. Compact 50/34 chainset with 11-32 cassette. Has mudguard and rack mounts. Priced currently at £950

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLDNRIV ... al-11-bike

However for more simplicity in the drivetrain department and the corresponding reduction in mechanical hassle on a long ride, you could look at the SRAM Rival 1 version. Single 42 tooth chainring so no front mech to worry about. 11-42 rear cassette so you have a 1:1 bottom gear ratio for spinning up steep hills when fully loaded. Has hydraulic rather than cable discs mind you but that is not a negative IMHO

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLDNRIV ... -road-bike

Plenty of fans (I had one a year or so back and rated it - now being ridden by my grandson). Have a look at this thread

viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12998860

Some good advice on mudguard and pannier fitting if you trawl through
  • imafatman
    imafatman Posts: 351
    Genesis Croix de Fer
  • oscarman
    oscarman Posts: 3
    Chadders81 wrote:
    Ribble CGR seems to fit the bill...

http://road.cc/content/review/215760-ribble-cgr

Thanks Chadders - I'll look some more into Ribble
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    To fit a rack you don't need eyelets... I have used a rack for years, clamped at the rear QR and at the seatpost via a special collar with mounts. It works perfectly well.
    Of course you can get a frame with eyelets, but it will be a touring frame, heavy, slow etc...

Take a look at a Dolan Dual, it's an Audax frame that will do everything, long distance, fast rides, mudguards, big (up to 30 mm) tyres if you want without any real drawback or compromise. Doesn't have rack mounts, but, as above...

Finally, do you need panniers? These days you can buy a 10+ litre seatpack which should be plenty for a week or so of touring, provided you stay in hostels and B&Bs
    left the forum March 2023
  • bikes`n`guns
    bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
    To fit a rack you don't need eyelets... I have used a rack for years, clamped at the rear QR and at the seatpost via a special collar with mounts. It works perfectly well.
    Of course you can get a frame with eyelets, but it will be a touring frame, heavy, slow etc...

Take a look at a Dolan Dual, it's an Audax frame that will do everything, long distance, fast rides, mudguards, big (up to 30 mm) tyres if you want without any real drawback or compromise. Doesn't have rack mounts, but, as above...

Finally, do you need panniers? These days you can buy a 10+ litre seatpack which should be plenty for a week or so of touring, provided you stay in hostels and B&Bs

I`ll mention that to Jason Rourke when I collect my 853 frame with rack and mudguard fittings :)
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    Sorry to but in, Im after a (v) cheap bike with drop bars to mooch around on (whilst dragging a two stone dog in a two stone trailer) that will hold a pannier rack and for the OH to get also to hopefully entice him to road biking. I have a proper racer and a fixed wheel bike so this would just be for camping holidays really (for which we currently have Bobbin 'pashley style' bikes - look cute, ride awful). Looking at the Triban 500 or 500SE - anyone had any experience of these? Was thinking I could also use for hilly sportives/long distance audax if required. Thanks
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310

I`ll mention that to Jason Rourke when I collect my 853 frame with rack and mudguard fittings :)

Obviously you can go the bespoke route... as you are there, Ask Mr Rourke if he can do the complete bike for under a grand, as the OP requests... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • bikes`n`guns
    bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
    haha Touché.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706