change of cassette or chainset

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 848
edited June 2017 in Workshop
Got a sportive coming up soon involving some pretty heavy hills. currently riding semi compact 36-52 with 12-28 at the back.

Would like to know if 12-30 would first of all even work with a 105 short cage - assuming i mess with the B-set screw?

Otherwise, I will have to chuck on the 105 compact chainset I have and take a link out of the chain.

In fact, would the change of chainset or change of cassette offer the easier gear?

Advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    The 52/36 with the 12/30 offers 36/30 as lowest gear (1.17) 50/34 with the 12/28 offers 34/28 (1.21)

Lower number is an easier gear, but there's chuff all in it (IMO) between those two options
  • chatlow
    The 52/36 with the 12/30 offers 36/30 as lowest gear (1.17) 50/34 with the 12/28 offers 34/28 (1.21)

Lower number is an easier gear, but there's chuff all in it (IMO) between those two options

thanks! i will have to go with what's easier then if they are around the same lowest gear. if i add the 30t cassette then i will have to remember to avoid the big big combo. or chuck on my compact chainset and remove link from chain/buy another chain.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    chatlow wrote:

thanks! i will have to go with what's easier then if they are around the same lowest gear. if i add the 30t cassette then i will have to remember to avoid the big big combo. or chuck on my compact chainset and remove link from chain/buy another chain.

Avoid big/big by all means but make sure your chain is long enough to take it if you change into that combo by mistake. A dangly chain in small /small, that you never use anyway, is much better than a chain that is too short in big/big.
  • chatlow
    Yeah agreed - I also worry that a slacker/looser chain will skip on some gears, maybe when on the small ring. I'm sure that's what was happening on my last bike