Dropping Chain from Big Ring Under Load

LeighM
LeighM Posts: 156
edited June 2017 in Workshop
Hi,

Two weeks ago, my chain started dropping off the big ring when under load (moving off or out of the saddle on climbs) sometimes it dropped inside to the small ring, sometimes outside and off the chainset (Ultegra 6800 50/34) completely.

I checked the chain for wear and replaced it, however the problem still persists.

There's no major wear visible on the big ring, but i did notice yesterday that if my chain is on the biggest 2-3 rings of my cassette, i can't shift from the small ring to the big ring until i move further down the cassette. I'm wondering if this is an issue with the front mech, maybe it's seizing, the cable's shot or the limiting screws need adjusting.

Anyone suffered similar issues, any suggestions other than taking it to my LBS?
2014 Trek Madone 4.7 | 2009 Trek Fuel EX7 | Planet X Pro Carbon Track Elite
TrainerRoad
Strava

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,148
    it might be lack of cable tension, if there's a barrel adjuster on the frame you can use that to see if it helps

these are the set-up instructions... http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-FD0002-05-ENG.pdf
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • dee4life2005
    dee4life2005 Posts: 773
    I had a similar issue with my Ultegra 6700 setup. The bike was running fine, then after replacing a chain I was getting the chain dropping off the big ring when moving away from junctions or out of the saddle efforts up hill etc. I tried a new chain ... no luck ... and then new cassette ... no luck there either.

Put the original chain / cassette back on and the problem went away ... so I came to the conclusion it was the Big Ring that was worn.

Replaced it (which wasn't cheap for 6703 big ring), fitted new chain and new cassette and it cured the problem.

One other thing to check is that you don't have a stiff/twisted link, as that can play havoc too.

How many miles have you done ... I'd done about 15,000miles by the time I had to replace the big ring (that always replacing the chain between 0.75/1.0 wear).
  • LeighM
    LeighM Posts: 156
    I had a similar issue with my Ultegra 6700 setup. The bike was running fine, then after replacing a chain I was getting the chain dropping off the big ring when moving away from junctions or out of the saddle efforts up hill etc. I tried a new chain ... no luck ... and then new cassette ... no luck there either.

Put the original chain / cassette back on and the problem went away ... so I came to the conclusion it was the Big Ring that was worn.

Replaced it (which wasn't cheap for 6703 big ring), fitted new chain and new cassette and it cured the problem.

One other thing to check is that you don't have a stiff/twisted link, as that can play havoc too.

How many miles have you done ... I'd done about 15,000miles by the time I had to replace the big ring (that always replacing the chain between 0.75/1.0 wear).

The bike has done 7,500km from new.

i'm having the same issue with a new chain, so I've ruled that out as the cause. Going to try to adjust the cable tension on the front mech, as suggested above. Failing that, i'll take it to my LBS, hopefully they can save me £100 for a new chainring.
    2014 Trek Madone 4.7 | 2009 Trek Fuel EX7 | Planet X Pro Carbon Track Elite
    TrainerRoad
    Strava