Crank/ Pedal alignment

eddzzz
eddzzz Posts: 20
edited June 2017 in Workshop
Hi,

Looking for some advice on my crank and pedal. How can I make sure they are properly aligned with the rest of the bike? When pedalling it feels as though I transfer power to the pedal with the outside of my right foot. Left foot feels normal. As I've fell off a couple of times on the right side I'm wondering whether this has impacted the crank and pushed it inwards? What's the best way to test this? I've already replaced the cleats and pedals so I'm sure it's not those.

Thanks in advance,

Ed

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Your links don't work.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • eddzzz
    cooldad wrote:
    Your links don't work.

I haven't included any links? Only asking how I can test. I can upload pictures if it will help?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sorry, replied on wrong thread. Had too many tabs open.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • eddzzz
    cooldad wrote:
    Sorry, replied on wrong thread. Had too many tabs open.

Thought so! No worries :)
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    eddzzz wrote:
    Hi,

Looking for some advice on my crank and pedal. How can I make sure they are properly aligned with the rest of the bike? When pedalling it feels as though I transfer power to the pedal with the outside of my right foot. Left foot feels normal. As I've fell off a couple of times on the right side I'm wondering whether this has impacted the crank and pushed it inwards? What's the best way to test this? I've already replaced the cleats and pedals so I'm sure it's not those.

Thanks in advance,

Ed

Very difficult to bend cranks in that way. Do you have any other bikes you can try - the issue may be with your foot/footwear, rather than the crank arm/pedal.
  • Joshgav
    Joshgav Posts: 158
    Unlikely to be crank and/or pedals. More likely to be shoes (and cleats if using them).
  • eddzzz
    Imposter wrote:
    eddzzz wrote:
    Hi,

Thanks in advance,

Ed

Very difficult to bend cranks in that way. Do you have any other bikes you can try - the issue may be with your foot/footwear, rather than the crank arm/pedal.

I have a mtb that I will try my shoes on. It feels subtle but I want to get it sorted before it gives me problems down the line.

Thanks,

Ed
  • eddzzz
    Joshgav wrote:
    Unlikely to be crank and/or pedals. More likely to be shoes (and cleats if using them).

I've just replaced the cleats and they seem to sit flat against the shoe. I will have a look at the shoes and try them on another bike to see whether that's the cause.

Thanks,

Ed
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    Might sound bonkers but is your saddle on perfectly straight? I managed to move a saddle a little to the side without realising and it made me think one of my cleats had moved.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • eddzzz
    bbrap wrote:
    Might sound bonkers but is your saddle on perfectly straight? I managed to move a saddle a little to the side without realising and it made me think one of my cleats had moved.

I will take a look! Thanks,

Ed
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,148
    a simple way to check crank alignment is measure the gap between the crank and the seat tube

do it for both cranks, if the gap differs then one may be bent

only time i had a bent crank was when a car drove into me
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny