Giant Propel Question

AlHo
AlHo Posts: 7
edited June 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi,

First time posting here, but I'm after a bit of advice before I bite the bullet.

I'm looking to buy a Giant Propel. In the UK you can't get the Pro or SL models in size xs, so I am looking to get the advanced 1 with wheel, saddle, bar and stem upgrades to make it the equivalent to Pro model (aside from the alloy steerer). Have got a good deal at LBS and will come out at a respectable 7.3 Kgs, however...

I have been looking to see if Giant are going to release a new Propel model. Team Sunweb have not ridden a propel this season as yet, which suggests something is up. Looking at the UCI approved frame list there were Propel disc models added for model year 2018 on 31st May but it appears there is no ''normal' propel on the list for 2018. I have read somewhere that Giant said they would only release a disc version when they were sure it would be as aero as the rim brake version, so that would make sense, it just seems that the current Propel model is quite old by current standards.

Crikey that was a ramble.

Basically, I don't want to buy this bike if a new rim brake version is going to come out at the back end of this year. If it's at the end of 2018 (model year 2019) that's fine, I just don't want it to be out of date when it's only a couple of months old. Surely there is little chance of Giant registering a frame with the UCI between now and TdF which would mean release later this year (MY 2018). These things usually take a few months don't they? Sorry, should have drunk less beer and gone to bed earlier.

Comments

• AlHo
    What I should have said was "does anyone have any information regarding the possible release of a new Giant Propel model this year".
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'd not really worry about it. You have a good deal that you're happy with. Who is to say a new version would be any better ?

You'd never buy anything if you worried about updates. I see Pringles now has 'perfect flavour' so lets look forward to the 'perfecter flavours in Autumn'.
  • chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 848
    Spoke to Giant and they 'think' it will be tail end of this year the 2018 model/colours will get released.

I am looking at a propel but not gonna wait that long so as soon as this CTW voucher is in my hands, I'll be getting it.

Also thought about upgrading an advanced to advanced pro but at the time it didn't seem financially worth it. Down to shop deals i guess. Either way, I'd be keen to know how you're getting the weight down to 7.2kg because the advanced pro 2 (one I am looking) at is 7.8 and the adv pro 1 is 7.6. Part of the reason I am consider the TCR adv pro is because it's only 7.1 and less harsh to ride.
  • AlHo
    Fenix wrote:
    I'd not really worry about it. You have a good deal that you're happy with. Who is to say a new version would be any better ?

You'd never buy anything if you worried about updates. I see Pringles now has 'perfect flavour' so lets look forward to the 'perfecter flavours in Autumn'.

Yeah Fenix I guess your voice of reason is correct. Also I must make sure I use perfecter more often in general conversation.

Chatlow - thanks for your info, still only the new disc model on the UCI approved frames list so maybe the rim brakes will be available for the pros next year like you say.

With regard to the bike and its weight I'm getting the standard advanced as you can't get the pro version in xs in Blighty. It's 7.9 Kg in medium. 300g saved from wheel and tyre upgrade, carbon bar and stem and upgraded saddle. Then the joy of being small knocks the best part of another 300g going from medium to xs, so that's 7.3 Kg ish.
  • chatlow
    Are you sure the standard advanced 1 is 7.9 because the advanced pro 2 is supposed to be 7.8 and comes with the SLR1 carbons and lighter steerer, granted the 105 5800 adds a few grams over the ultegra.

Kind of glad my bike to work cert hasn't come through yet, so I can decide myself!
  • AlHo
    Yeah mate, I weighed a medium in the shop. I was quite surprised too. When you think that the saddle on the advanced 1 is 100g heavier than the pro 1 the alloy steerer probably only adds 200g or so. Less as the sizes get smaller.
  • chatlow
    AlHo wrote:
    Yeah mate, I weighed a medium in the shop. I was quite surprised too. When you think that the saddle on the advanced 1 is 100g heavier than the pro 1 the alloy steerer probably only adds 200g or so. Less as the sizes get smaller.

yeah the pa2 wheelset prob has around 100g on the SLR1's as well. I've cut my options down to Advanced 1 - then upgrade the bits you mention plus di2 in future, the advanced 0 and swap out the wheels for the SLR1's or the advanced pro 2 and ,again, upgrade to di2 in future.
  • burnthesheep
    burnthesheep Posts: 675
    It may not fit your body depending on leg/arm length, but you could consider a larger sized Liv equivalent of the Propel since they don't have the men's small size you need.
  • AlHo
    It may not fit your body depending on leg/arm length, but you could consider a larger sized Liv equivalent of the Propel since they don't have the men's small size you need.

I did seriously consider that as the paint jobs on the Livs look amazing. Only really knocked the idea on the head as they have a taller head tube for a given size; my short height is accompanied by proportionally even shorter legs so I need as low a stack as possible to get a good drop!
  • AlHo
    chatlow wrote:
    yeah the pa2 wheelset prob has around 100g on the SLR1's as well. I've cut my options down to Advanced 1 - then upgrade the bits you mention plus di2 in future, the advanced 0 and swap out the wheels for the SLR1's or the advanced pro 2 and ,again, upgrade to di2 in future.

I can't imagine you will regret any of those. Guess it just comes down to which colour you like the most. Having said that, if you really want di2 it would prob be better to get it with the bike as I imagine it works out cheaper.