New CX bike for under a grand

ZootHornRollo
ZootHornRollo Posts: 85
edited June 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I am on the lookout for a new bike to use for road riding plus some riding on gravel or unmade paths. All for pleasure, no racing. Normally only 15-20 mile rides but the occasional 50 miler too.

I currently have a 2011 specialized tricross triple on which all the components are starting to give up en mass and I hate the brakes. Been quoted just shy of £300 to replace parts by LBS. (Chain, cassette, bottom bracket, crankset from what I remember) Admittedly I could probably source and fit the parts myself for much cheaper. But I don't think It would be worth even that so time to get rid.

I have up to £1000 but would prefer to spend less.

Was looking at the Boardman CX comp as a starter @ £650
Or can get Cannondale CAADX tiagra for £840

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Could you go a bit higher :D Evans have the dale Slate Apex in the sales.....
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Planet X job.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
    • solboy10 wrote:
      Could you go a bit higher :D Evans have the dale Slate Apex in the sales.....
      Can't justify a bigger budget I'm afraid... Got to run it by the gatekeeper :?
      Planet X job.

Any particular model?
      oxoman wrote:
      Giant Tcx is a fun bike my only gripes is the mech disc brakes if you can get a hydraulic model for a bit more it's worth getting.
      <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s194p0/Road-Bikes/Racing-Cyclo-Cross</span&gt;
      Or just get the Boardman linked below, hopefully get a bit off if BC member or they put on offer.
      <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-cx-team-bike</span&gt;
      I'd be a large and they only have s/m left.
      I had a quick look at that Boardman on their website.
      Hadn't thought about bc discount. Makes it a bit more attractive. Do they go on offer very often?
    • My research has unearthed a new one for me...

Adventure bike!

This sounds like they may be more suited to what I'm looking for. Seems like a bit of a cross over between them and cx bikes tho. Confused :?
    • mostly
      mostly Posts: 113
      I'm looking for a winter / 'green laning' n+1 and had been looking at the GT grade, a bit of cash off them at the moment,
      evans arkose 2 looks good value https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-ar ... e-EV275623
      Specialized diverge but its a bit £££.
    • janwal
      janwal Posts: 489
      Boardman cx team.Don't be put off by the SRAM 1x11.The 44 front and 10-42 cassette is equivalent to 13-34 so plenty of climbing ability and plenty of downhill unless you are a speed merchant. You also get a complete Rival hydraulic group set.The group set alone costs over £700 as I have just converted my Domane to it.I was so impressed I bought the CX Team as my winter bike to go with it as they had £200 of it at Easter. When I got to the till they also told me it was now an end of line bike so could have £75 worth of accessories for free which was a bonus! So ask about that if you go for it as it never showed on their website like it did for other end of line bikes.I have changed the tyres to road tyres as I preferred them but I already had them.
      I have no problems at all in the hilly rides around Huddersfield even on my 63 year old legs.Plenty of good reviews on it.if you join either cycling uk or U.K. Cycling for just over £20 you also get 10% of all purchases at Halfords,just present the membership card at the till.
    • molteni_man
      molteni_man Posts: 454
      Hi,
      I bought an Orro Terra back in late April and I absolutely love it - its become something of a go to bike because it does everything so well. I did a gravel track 10 mile route North of Romsey (National Cycle Route 246) followed by some road miles and it did everything well. It's not slow and handles well on the road.
      Take a look at the review http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... iew-50512/
      Two versions available- one at £999 with Shimano 105 as per the review. http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Orro-Terra-Grav ... 0wodxA4DaQ
      so on budget.
      I went for the SE version at £1350 which comes even better equipped with better wheels and hydraulic discs.
      Two good colours available. A lovely bike to look at too and still rare.
      I think this might fit what you are looking for? I'm also planning on using it for the winter too.
      BW
    • molteni_man
      molteni_man Posts: 454
      Comes down to exactly what you want the bike for. I personally like the gearing (Compact 50 - 34. with 11-28)on the Orro which suits what I want to do on it. First saw it at The Bike Show where I liked the look and quality of the build and components. They're both good bikes for sure. Hope we have helped the OP with the buying decisions!
    • Why does something expensive always break just when you're about to make a big purchase!?

Oil heater boiler packed in. Too old to fix apparently.

So I got the parts required for my current bike from chain reaction and got them fitted today. After several hours and a fair bit of pissing about a d some trial and error(s) I managed to get it back up and running.

Quite pleased with myself and the new bike will have to wait.

Thanks for the advice guys. Hopefully useful for someone else.
    • TonyJams
      TonyJams Posts: 214
      The timing could be a blessing for you - last year Halfords did a 20% off all bikes at the end of the TdF for 3 weeks. The Boardman would be an amazing price if they do that again this year.