Steel best for fatty or carbon ok?

vegasfoster
vegasfoster Posts: 59
edited June 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi, I'm 125kg and all the threads I am seeing are a couple years old, has anything changed with newer bikes? If know of more recent threads or sources of info, please feel free to point me to them.

My current front runner is the Genesis Equilibrium 10, but the Cube Attain carbon bike also looks interesting to me and on sale right now, so can get for about the same price as the Genesis. I don't give a crap about the 3lb lighter weight, but most people seem to give the nod to carbon over steel, so is carbon a good option for a heavy dude or can I cross it off?

Background, I am planning flat bar road bike (or conversion to flat bar), but I couldn't source the frame I wanted as they are all sold out (Roadhouse). I chose the Kona because I wanted a compact endurance geometry steel frame (not a tourer), which are hard to come by where I live. Since I couldn't get Kona I started looking again and found I could import the Genesis bikes and actually think I like them better. I like the Equilibrium 10 the best for sweet paint job and also prefer rim brakes as I live in the desert. Also, if I store it just behind the open door of a cool old building then it will look completely amazing just like this

9g5uhb.jpg

I've only ever ridden aluminum frames and I seem to be at the weight limit or a little past on most carbon and aluminum bikes (although never had any problems with aluminum in the past). I already have the wheels sorted for any rim bike with 36h jobs. Would need to get new ones for disc bike, but still open to any disc bike recommendations.

Any advice appreciated, thank you.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd check with the makers to see if there's a weight limit.

How does that bloke get his mail through ? The postman must be really confused with all those different house names. Madness.
  • ZMC888
    ZMC888 Posts: 292
    I think in your shoes I'd get a steel frame bike, but get something really nice with a good group set at least 105 or higher. Everyone should have a nice steel frame bike anyway, you wouldn't ideally want to commute or go touring on a carbon fibre bike so it's still a great thing to own. Reward yourself when you get your weight down to your target weight with a carbon fibre bike.

I think your weight is probably a bit much for the design parameters of a carbon fibre bike, but in reality you may be OK. But they'll use it as a bargaining chip if you have a warranty claim.
  • Bamboo is interesting for sure, but don't think the aesthetic is for me. I'm gonna go for steel, I'm feeling it more than the carbon. That's good idea though, maybe try a carbon bike down the road. Thanks for feedback.