New wheels question

JGTR
JGTR Posts: 1,404
edited June 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all, got some new wheels with asymmetrical rims. I've fitted the front wheel and it does not sit evenly between the forks, it's 5mm over towards the brake side....is this correct??

Comments

• JGTR
    Anyone? Seems obvious that the rim should be central in the forks....didn't want to complain if for some strange reason they are supposed to be over to one side?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope, they should be central in the forks. The asymmetrical bit is just the profile of the rim.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JGTR
    That's what I thought.....rims turned up damaged and now I find they don't fit, another couple of f'n weeks without my bike :-(
  • bobbydigital
    bobbydigital Posts: 254
    That could be bad dishing?

The rim should be central with the locking nuts that touch the frame which would mean when placed in to the lockout it would be right in the middle of the fork, 5mm is a lot though but could/should be fixable.
  • JGTR
    edited June 2017
    That could be bad dishing?

The rim should be central with the locking nuts that touch the frame which would mean when placed in to the lockout it would be right in the middle of the fork, 5mm is a lot though but could/should be fixable.

It's very noticeable, I can get one finger easily between fork leg and tyre on one side but not on other (tyre is fitted correctly).

Still waiting for company to get back to me
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As a double check, fit the wheel the wrong way round and confirms the side too close to the fork leg changes....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JGTR
    The Rookie wrote:
    As a double check, fit the wheel the wrong way round and confirms the side too close to the fork leg changes....

Didn't think of that, tried old wheel which was fine
  • JGTR
    Same when I flip wheel round, off centre on opposite side
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    JGTR wrote:

which confirms the wheel has not been dished correctly. send it back.
  • JGTR
    02GF74 wrote:
    JGTR wrote:

which confirms the wheel has not been dished correctly. send it back.

Yep I got that, have already sent them back.

Thanks for the help