Promax Render brakes on CAADX

Blackbrogue
Blackbrogue Posts: 17
edited June 2017 in Workshop
I have a caadx with promax render disc brakes. I've replaced the original brake cables with jagwire compressionless cables that has removed the spongy feeling however the stopping performance is still poor. My question is will replacing pads and possibly the disks improve performance noticeably or should I bite the bullet and buy trp spyres or bb7s?

Comments

• roof30
    roof30 Posts: 58
    I've just swapped my God-awful Promax Renders out for a set of BB7s and the difference is like night and day. You also won't need to replace the cables if you've just done them. Do it, you won't (read: shouldn't) regret it.
    Cannondale Synapse AL 105, Specialized Sirrus Comp
  • Despite lots of talk about Spyres I'm tempted by the bb7s too, under £50 each from from Chain Reaction.
  • edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 226
    I've a Plug Charge 3 with Promax Render-r's and they are pretty terrible brakes, in some ways worse than a good, well-set rim brake. This despite careful setup and bedding in, disc cleaning and other attempts to improve them. Nothing like the TRP HY/RDs on my road bike which actually stop you..

I've just managed to pick up a set of 105 hydro levers and brakes so they are going on my road bike and I'm going to cascade the TRP HY/RDs down to the Plug. The HY/RDs are actually pretty good and I'd recommend them as a solution to the terrible Promax's but they do seem quite pricey for what they are if you are buying new.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Promax disc callipers are just rubbish, almost anything else is better, BB5/7 are great as are TRP, if on a budget get some Clarkes, not as good as some others but massively better than the Promax.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.