We should do this here

greg66_tri_v2.0
greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
edited June 2017 in Commuting chat
Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
Bike 2-A

Comments

• davesnothere
    davesnothere Posts: 620
    Fantastic
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Awesomeness.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Sunday morning crits on the Embankment?

I'm not sure we could be trusted with it.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    Amazing! Id be all for it.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    I've just email the Mayor's office (for all the good it will do) suggesting 8-2, 1 May to 30 Sept.

Anyone know how to get a petition to TfL going?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    Change.org is the biggest one that lets you setup petitions that I know about.
  • grant2307
    grant2307 Posts: 135
    Would be interested to see what roads they would consider, if any. Would be good.
  • shamrock134
    shamrock134 Posts: 714
    I'd be happy with one Sunday per month bans of motor vehicles from Richmond Park and Regent's Park. :D
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    looks great, go for it
    FCN = 4
  • whatleytom
    whatleytom Posts: 547
    I'd be happy with one Sunday per month bans of motor vehicles from Richmond Park and Regent's Park. :D

In theory great idea, in practice I'd imagine it would be carnage as it would bring out even more folk who don't already cycle there, and make a mess for those wanting to ride at any pace.

I really think RP especially would be drastically improved if they just put bollards in stopping traffic from actually driving through, or round the full park. Just let them into gates to park in the respective car park. IMO it should not be a thoroughfare, which i'm sure would cut traffic in half. But there's obviously zero likelihood of anything anti car happening there anytime soon.
    Blog on first season road racing http://www.twhatley.com/
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Columbia has been shutting down one of their biggest, cross city roads every Sunday for awhile according to current and past capital city residents. However the question is would you rather see something like CS1 and other London cycle facilities all week long or one day a week main road shut for leisure? Bogota by all accounts is a nightmare to cycle apart from one road on one day of the week.

I'm certain even with this their cyclist death rate is probably higher than over here. Roads and traffic just need to be safer all the time. If you can work out how do share!
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Roads and traffic just need to be safer all the time. If you can work out how do share!

Banning HGV's from streets that were laid down during medieval times would be a start
    FCN = 4
  • wiznaeme
    wiznaeme Posts: 238
    Great ideas, and then you listen to the motorist on the second clip who suggests that people don't deserve a safe environment because there are individuals who ride bikes without their hands on their handlebars.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    WiznaeMe wrote:
    Great ideas, and then you listen to the motorist on the second clip who suggests that people don't deserve a safe environment because there are individuals who ride bikes without their hands on their handlebars.
    He didn't actually say that though. He said he didn't like it when people rode in traffic without their hands on the bars. Said nothing about whether they deserve to be safe or not.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • shamrock134
    whatleytom wrote:

In theory great idea, in practice I'd imagine it would be carnage as it would bring out even more folk who don't already cycle there, and make a mess for those wanting to ride at any pace.

I really think RP especially would be drastically improved if they just put bollards in stopping traffic from actually driving through, or round the full park. Just let them into gates to park in the respective car park. IMO it should not be a thoroughfare, which i'm sure would cut traffic in half. But there's obviously zero likelihood of anything anti car happening there anytime soon.

RP seems to be closed to cars on Sunday for a 10 mile running race although it's not clear if cyclists are still allowed in.

https://www.royalparks.org.uk/parks/ric ... d-closures
  • perfectmark
    perfectmark Posts: 117
    Great idea, although in London I think you would need to have the roads free of traffic for longer, maybe do 8am to 5pm. Otherwise for a lot of people, by the time you actually get into central London, it will almost be time to open the roads up again.

Maybe they could start with just 1 or 2 weekends. Could even make an event of it to increase tourism and have events on some streets (like food markets etc).
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    I think it would be great, though for those calling for Richmond/Regents Park with out cars, you'd get walkers/runners/skaters/dogs on extended leads etc, see Bushy Park for examples of this, i.e. It's unlikely to be roadie friendly it would be good for others but almost definitely not for guys/gals wanting a fast lap.
  • shamrock134
    i.e. It's unlikely to be roadie friendly it would be good for others but almost definitely not for guys/gals wanting a fast lap.

I went to Richmond Park in the afternoon following the Ride100 once, when it was still closed to cars, and some idiots thought this meant you could now ride on the wrong side of the road?! :shock:

Had to scream at them to avoid a head on collision.
  • hell27
    hell27 Posts: 21
    I don't think banning cars is the answer - I do however think that if quality cycling infrastructure separated is provided, backed up with lockable usable hub facilities, then people will migrate over more naturally.