ETAP compatibility with other SRAM chainsets - other than Red

letap73
letap73 Posts: 1,608
edited June 2017 in Workshop
I have done various searches which shows there are some issues setting up ETAP with other chainsets which are not SRAM. Primarily this appears to do with the clearance between the crank arms and the limiting screws - although chain drop is also a major issue.
Clearly the set up for ETAP has to be finely tuned. The SRAM documentation seems to suggest that only the Red chainset is compatible with ETAP - however, I see no reason why the Force and Rival chainsets should not work. Has anybody any experience in mating either the Force or Rival chainsets?

Comments

• paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    I have Etap with SRAM Force chainset on my Px Pro Carbon.
    I had an issue with the NDS crank catching on the limit adjuster screw. I've sorted it now but the Etap fd does have a problem with some combinations of frame and chainset.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    paulbnix wrote:
    I have Etap with SRAM Force chainset on my Px Pro Carbon.
    I had an issue with the NDS crank catching on the limit adjuster screw. I've sorted it now but the Etap fd does have a problem with some combinations of frame and chainset.

I suggest you've got your crankset on back to front if the non-drive side crank arm is catching the limit screw :D

OP; it isn't so much that you have to use SRAM Red cranksets, but just that the clearance to the front derailleur from the drive side crank arm has to be enough.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    there's no evidence that chain drop is a 'major issue', for that to be shown we'd need to know the number of chain drops vs. shift events for the total population of etap equipped bikes

there certainly are internet postings by some people who have chain drop, and there are internet postings by others who repeat this information but have never used etap

the problem the former group of people have may be due to frame geometry or poor set-up or perhaps even a flexy fd mount, some people have suggested it's more likely on frames with short chain stays and/or compact chainsets

etap does not need to be used with red only, it will be compatible with anything that matches the specification which is here and also includes the frame compatibility info

fwiw i've used it with both bb30 and gxp cranksets, an srm with praxis rings, and sram s9xx crankset, all standard doubles, i fitted etap in march 2016

i had the limit screw problem which was easy to fix

never had any chain drop problem

i'm not using yaw chainrings, it took a bit of tweaking to eliminate chain rub on big-big, basically this is about getting the cage angle just right, my frame is quite large, on a smaller frame i assume this would be harder as the chain will be at a more extreme angle
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Thanks chaps - advice much appreciated.