Click and sound coming from left crank arm

cpper
cpper Posts: 42
edited June 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys :)

For some time I have this problem, when pedaling with force a 'click' can be heard and felt in the left pedal. This doesn't happen regularly, sometimes it's just a click and other times there's like 3 one after another. It feels like the pedal is moving a slight bit away from the arm. I was very sure the sound came from the left pedal, which in fact had big play, and some balls got behind the cone, in the dust cap. Thinking the broken pedal was the problem, I bought a new pair and installed them. Today I went for a ride to test the grip of the new pedals, and guess what, the click is still there :evil:
The pedals are tightened on the arms, and so are the arms. I tried to move everything in all directions down there, and there doesn't seem to be any play anywhere. Also, I could not reproduce the problem, with the bike upside down, moving the pedals with my hands.This is not causing any real trouble but it really pisses me off.
Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have you checked the bottom bracket?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cpper
    It's the only part I can't check, I don't have the needed tool.
  • haywain
    haywain Posts: 14
    I have had a similar problem, and had the bottom bracket replaced. It didn't get rid of the noise! To be honest I don't know if it's stopped or if I've just grown used to it amidst various other creaking noises.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Bottom bracket is the next suspect I'd say.
    Wouldn't hurt to remove and refit the saddle and seat post too, it's probably not that but it's an easy thing to rule out.
  • cpper
    Oook, after further troubleshooting, it seems the arm on the left side was not tight enough. I did check it initially, and thought it was really tight, but after applying some extra force on the threads + greasing, it looks like the click is gone.
    Thanks guys ! :D