Converting my Vitus Sentier to a singlering spec

adamjth
adamjth Posts: 8
edited June 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I have one of these http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... -15-49229/ and would like to convert it to a singlering transmission and have a couple of questions:-

1) Rear cassette - it current has a Shimano HG50 (11-36) and would like to change it for a SunRace MS3 or Mx3 Cassette MTB 10 Speed 11-42t to work with existing Shimano Deore XT Shadow Plus. The cassette will be a straight swap - no compatibility issue there?

2) On the front it has Shimano Deore M615 and I would like to remove the existing 24/38t rings and install a 32t single ring (Black NW by Absoluteblack). I will get replacement nuts but I am not sure what other complications will arise - possibly BB related. Also what tools would I need for this task?

thanks

Adam

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    1/ You will need to adjust the B-screw and may need to consider a wide range specific cage like the one-up, otherwise it will work fine.

2/ Double cranksets are a bit more of a compromise on chainline as neither location is as good as the middle of a triple setup, however it will work, some people swap the BB spacers to move the driveside chainring in to improve chainline, you will indee need shorter chainring bolts plus the tools to remove/refit which is just Allen key and a screwdriver. No need to splurge on an AB, beware expensive imitations!

If using a wide range cassette then you may find a 34t or even a 36t gives a more useable range of gears.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • adamjth
    The Rookie wrote:
    1/ You will need to adjust the B-screw and may need to consider a wide range specific cage like the one-up, otherwise it will work fine.

2/ Double cranksets are a bit more of a compromise on chainline as neither location is as good as the middle of a triple setup, however it will work, some people swap the BB spacers to move the driveside chainring in to improve chainline, you will indee need shorter chainring bolts plus the tools to remove/refit which is just Allen key and a screwdriver. No need to splurge on an AB, beware expensive imitations!

If using a wide range cassette then you may find a 34t or even a 36t gives a more useable range of gears.

Thanks TR. I was looking at this chainring which is a bit more budget than AB.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01ICVGPCA/ ... X1M71&th=1

On the top of the BB spacers I could just switch over the chainring and suck & see I guess...then I could go back swap the BB spaces if need be. On the cassette size I am trying to mimic my other bike which is a Marin Nail 9.6 which is using the same cassette with 32T at the front and I used it more for day rides /light off road. The Vitus is more my downhill jumping bike that I pedal around for 1hr max but would love to have it on single ring.
  • Uber_Pod
    Uber_Pod Posts: 110
    I've just swapped to a work components chainring. Can't fault it so far and service was quick and easy.
    http://www.workscomponents.co.uk/chainr ... s-19-c.asp

You might need to change the chain length or at least check it.
  • The Rookie
    No experience of that one, but the photos look OK.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    No dropped chains here in a solid months use of a works components 30T NW ring.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • adamjth
    today I finally completed this conversion and bike cycles fine with only a slight adjustment to the B screw to allow it to move the chain onto the largest rear sprocket (42t). One last question I used these chainring bolts

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

and as per the picture they had some green paint on the thread presumably to prevent them getting loose. Should I also apply some additional adhesive and if so which one? I have some superglue but I notice on the videos they mention LOCTITE Threadlockers adhesives
  • The Rookie
    NOT superglue, a small dab of proper thread lock is OK, but I've not used it on any bike I've built and never had one come loose.
  • adamjth
    Thanks Rookie. I also think you are right with your original comment that "34t or even a 36t" would provide a better range. I went for a 32t with 11-42 cassette and 27.5 wheelbase which initially feels like bike is more inclined towards low hill climbing gears than the higher range. nvmd I will ride it for a while and can always change up the single ring to 34 or 36 if necessary