Stans race sealant

swod1
swod1 Posts: 1,639
edited June 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I've recently converted my mavic wheels on my mega to tubeless which is great wish I had done it sooner.

Looking at stans to get a bottle in for topping up as I just bought a couple of 2oz bottles to start with, I've seen there is a race version of the sealant.

Does any one use it on here?

Is it worth the extra money or should I just stick with the non race stans sealant?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    According to the internets it's better.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • swod1
    yes meant to seal bigger holes but doesn't last as long. I don't bother with the valve injector a mate showed me to break a tiny part of the tyre bead and pop the stans in this way.

Just wondered if anyone had used it on here over the normal stans sealant.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Slightly off topic, but I just bought a big (100ml I think) syringe off Ebay, that came with a length of tube. Don't even need the plunger, just connect the tube, pour the sealant into the syringe and it runs straight through the valve into the tyre. Need removable cores obviously.
    I use Bontrager sealant so can't help with that.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • swod1
    cooldad wrote:
    Slightly off topic, but I just bought a big (100ml I think) syringe off Ebay, that came with a length of tube. Don't even need the plunger, just connect the tube, pour the sealant into the syringe and it runs straight through the valve into the tyre. Need removable cores obviously.

Interesting as its all new to me this tubeless business. Must be why those Stans 2oz bottles have a syringe like top to pour in the valve.

I might experiment with stans in a inner tube on my hack bike that I use to going to work on so the syringe method good to know.
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    swod1 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Interesting as its all new to me this tubeless business. Must be why those Stans 2oz bottles have a syringe like top to pour in the valve.

I might experiment with stans in a inner tube on my hack bike that I use to going to work on so the syringe method good to know.

Just use the 2oz white bottles to top your wheels up. Remove the valve core, pour in , screw valve back on, pump, rotate wheel and away you go. Cheaper to reuse the bottles than to bother with the injector.

I use the race sealant and I haven't noticed any difference to the 'standard' Stans sealant. I'm going back to the standard when my bottle runs out.
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I use the cheap 1L bottles from on-one, work great, and yes I use the Stans 2oz bottle to inject into the valve.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    The Rookie wrote:
    I use the cheap 1L bottles from on-one, work great, and yes I use the Stans 2oz bottle to inject into the valve.

I'll look into that sealant. I was rather impressed on ride into work today felt back tyre was spongy and a thorn or something had punctured tyre could see the stans sealing the hole. was great just having to only get the pump out my bag to put some more air back in the tyre.
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    "They" say you shouldn't put the race sealant version in through the valve as it will actually clog the valve so to just crack the bead and pour it in that way. I've got a bottle sitting on the shelf waiting for me to get round to sorting it one of my wheelsets so haven't actually seen how much thicker it actually is yet.
  • swod1
    Horton wrote:
    "They" say you shouldn't put the race sealant version in through the valve as it will actually clog the valve so to just crack the bead and pour it in that way. I've got a bottle sitting on the shelf waiting for me to get round to sorting it one of my wheelsets so haven't actually seen how much thicker it actually is yet.

That's what I do a little bit of the bead off. I found it rather simple this tubeless stuff both tyre beads sealed fine on my mavic rims with maxxis tyres just take the valve core out and pump fast with track pump.