105 5800 Front mech indexing methods

germcevoy
germcevoy Posts: 414
edited June 2017 in Workshop
What is your go to method or guide for setting cable position? After having a cable replaced I've never been able to get the FD working as well as it did out of the box. The bike is a 2015 Super Six Evo.

I get substantial chain rub when going up the cog more than halfway in the big ring but adjusting with the barrel to quiten this then introduces a lot of rub when in the small ring/lower half of cassette combo. I have to use the trim shift continually but it doesn't seem to offer as much adjustment as it used to. An LBS trip might be in order but any recommended suggestions?

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Best thing is to look on Shimano's instructions which are downloadable from their site - much easier than explaining here.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    This isn't going to be of any help whatsoever, so apologies.

But the 5800 front mech is an absolute b*tch to get setup right.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    This is my method. Best shifting I've ever had with this setup.

Start over. Undo the cable.

When clamping the front derailleur to the frame make sure the gap between the big chainring teeth and front derailleur cage is 2-5mm.

So first, with the cable de-attached. Put the chain on the small front ring and biggest back cog. Make sure to click the downshift lever into its lowest postion.

Adjust the inner limit screw (closest to the frame on the front derailleur) so the gap is 1mm from the chain to the inner side of the front derailleur.

Wind out the outer limit screw so it doesn't interfere in the next stage.

Clamp the cable (finger tight cable tension - not too much). Then shift the chain onto the 11t cog (or smallest) at the back, and shift the front onto the big ring. There should now be some chain rubbing on the cage if you spin the cranks.

Then wind the inline barrel adjuster (adding more cable tension) until there is a 1mm gap between the outer cage and chain, and no chain rub. Look down at the front derailleur cage as you do it.

Then wind the outer limit screw in until it just touches the stop.

Now shift the chain onto the small front ring, and the rear onto the second to last smallest cog. Then click into the front small ring trim position. Now whilst in the trim position - add more tension again with the barrel adjuster until there is no rub. Leave a gap of 2mm from the chain and the outer cage. This will eliminate any slop in the trim position and make it feel more positive.

Check all gears and trim settings. Make sure the chain isnt being thrown over off the big ring.

There will always be rub in the small/small combo. This is the chain rubbing on the big ring not an adjustment issue.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • k-dog
    Should say that gives you a spare click in the lever - you don't need the trim position on the big ring - just the small ring.
  • germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    k-dog wrote:
    Should say that gives you a spare click in the lever - you don't need the trim position on the big ring - just the small ring.

Cheers. I'll try this next week. Have a big ride on Sunday so don't want to interfere before then lest I balls it up and cause a panic. Will report back. Thanks.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Yepp, sounds like a simple case of not using the trim function? Oh, the advice above is not right. Trim is used when in the big ring and then the bigger cogs at the back. Single click (LH) to move the FD left one notch but stay on the big ring, two clicks to drop down to the small ring.
  • k-dog
    That's how I had mine set up - but then I followed the method I posted and it's not necessary and the shifting is much more crisp. No rub in the big ring in any gear.