9mm QR wheel and fork with 15mm axle

mcvw
mcvw Posts: 270
edited June 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Would it be possible to use the following in order to use a Rockshox Sektor fork (15mm axle) on my sons bike which has 9mm QR front wheel?

Thanks,

Mike

http://www.mcconveycycles.com/7267/prod ... oCJwvw_wcB
2016 Handsling Bikes A1R0
2014 Giant Defy Composite 1
On One 4560b

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If it has compatible Mavic wheels yes. Otherwise very unlikely.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mcvw
    Not sure if his wheels are compatible (or even what brand they are LOL!) - will check.

I'd've thought somebody would have produced a 'reducer' that locates in the fork to seat and allow a 9mm QR wheel to be used.

Surely that wouldn't compromise the strength of the fork - would it?
    On One 4560b
  • cooldad
    No idea but AFAIK no such thing exists.

Only adapters I know of are hub specific.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    That adapter is to reduce the axle of a 15mm wheel to fit in a QR fork. Precisely the opposite of what you want.

The problem with what you want is that thru axles normally screw into a thread which is fixed in one side of the fork. But if an axle has a screw thread on one end big enough to screw into the fork, it wont pass through your wheel. And you cant screw it in and then slide the wheel on because the other leg of the fork would get in the way.

The only thing that could be done would be something like a small disc insert which screws into the fork thread and has a smaller hole in it that is 9mm threaded. Then you would need a shortened 9mm axle which screwed into the internal thread of this insert and had a big enough bit at the free end to fill the hole in the other fork leg. Trouble with that is that this 9mm axle would have to be a very precise length as it cannot extend out the fork leg on the screw side and it would only be able to screw in a small amount into that insert and that would likely not be strong enough and prone to failure. Also the scre in insert would need some special tool for tightening and removing it because it could not have any protruding surface to put a spanner on and could not use a hex key in the middle because that is where the inner thread would be needed.

Not impossible but just not practical or safe.
  • cooldad
    A standard 9mm QR axle is not threaded. It just fits in the drop outs. The skewer that holds the whole lot together is only 2mm I thing. A lot less than 9mm anyway.

Basically unless the hub is designed for adapters, it's new wheel or new fork time.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Had a similar dilemma, ended up forking out about 70 quid on a new front wheel (Mavic Crosside). Cheap and cheerful, but did the job. And you'd need a maxle too.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • mcvw
    Thanks for all the replies - much appreciated.

I'm guessing that 650b forks with 9mm dropouts are a somewhat rarity so path of least resistance may to be get a new front wheel... or a new bike as son has just suggested LOL!!
    On One 4560b
  • cooldad
    New bike obviously. I like his style. And it's not my wallet for a change.
    Either a new wheel, or the old rim laced into a new hub is probably the best option, the new wheel route the simplest and probably the cheapest.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    cooldad wrote:
    New bike obviously. I like his style. And it's not my wallet for a change.
    Either a new wheel, or the old rim laced into a new hub is probably the best option, the new wheel route the simplest and probably the cheapest.

Yeh buy a second hand decent wheel with a hub that fits, or if your existing rim is good quality, get it rebuilt onto a compatible hub.