Quick Q- What Road Wheels

slowmonkey
slowmonkey Posts: 48
edited May 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

Very quick one -

I ride a Specialized Roubaix 2014, Ultegra 11 speed. This is my commute and weekend bike. I do about 160 miles per week.

I am now in need of purchasing a new set of wheels. Any advice on a set that will be light/strong (for London commute) but hopefully enjoyable for weekend pootles?

I have a budget of around £300. I find so much on offer out there, it all becomes a blur to be honest, so decent recommendations from the good folk here would go along way.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Is that model disk or rim braking? Also, are you looking for something lightish (say, Zonda C17) or more robust/slightly aero (Quattro, etc.)?? Are you heavy enough for spoke count to be an issue (say 95kg+)?? Any plans to go tubeless?
  • slowmonkey
    slowmonkey Posts: 48
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Is that model disk or rim braking? Also, are you looking for something lightish (say, Zonda C17) or more robust/slightly aero (Quattro, etc.)?? Are you heavy enough for spoke count to be an issue (say 95kg+)?? Any plans to go tubeless?

Morning,

Sorry - yes Rim braking. I weigh approx 11 stone. Tubeless could be an option going forward I guess. I would guess slightly more robust wheel set - only because of the commute miles - I find the London roads pretty unforgiving! But then I want to enjoy them on a weekend ride.

Also, maintenance - I would like to be able to maintain hubs etc. myself - if at all possible; not something I have done before so want to learn, want ease of maintenance.

Thanks!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Okey doke, you are only about 1/2 stone heavier than me so I wouldn't be looking for anything too robust because of the weight penalty (won't slow you down too much but some wheels just feel consistently sluggish, even if Strava shows no impact). At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I think it is hard to look beyond the Zonda c17s for you. They are remarkably strong (so good during the week) and reasonably light (so will be great at the w/e). I found the 15mm rimmed version slightly harsh so the newer 17mm rim should help smooth that out, specially when matched with 25mm tyres. I run my 25s at 70f/80r so it might be worth you experimenting. Potholes can be an issue although I have found that if I tw@t one properly then I get a snakebite irrespective of the pressure.

The hubs are excellent cup/cone bearings that are a doddle to maintain. The seals are not great though, so you may want to just check for water ingress every month or so during hard winter. 5 minute job though and easily fixed.

Other options are the usual ones, so think Fulcrum racing 3 (although these are narrower and have cartridge bearings), the 5LGs, the aforementioned Quattro LGs (good, if uninspiring) or something from Shimano (only 15mm but good hubs) say, 6800 or 31s (I couldn't wait for my 30s to wear out though!).

If you commute all year and want a decent all year option, the other thing to look at is handbuilts. Yes, they cost more but the rims can be easily replaced. I spent £500 to replace my Zondas when they wore out and got some excellent wheels in the same weight ballpark. They have since been cost effectively rebuilt for less than the price you are now looking to spend. Worth a thought.
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 264
    Another vote for zondas. Love mine.
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2017
    Just to be pedantic. 6800 wheels are 16mm internal width. So abit better than 15c

I have a new 6800 wheelset for sale for £210 posted. PM me if anyone is interested.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    DT Swiss R460 on Miche hubs from Cycle Clinic for £260