Two frames, same components, or two bikes?

Red.Devil.Ghost
Red.Devil.Ghost Posts: 185
edited June 2017 in MTB buying advice
So after changing job a couple of times, getting married and starting a family, I finally have some time alone - 6 weeks without the wife and child.

This gives me the chance to finally sort out some bikes bits n pieces that I haven't had chance to do. Namely, rebuild my Ghost AMR5900 which has been resprayed (topic will be done on here in due course).

The Ghost is a great bike, much better than I am. However, I also want a HT bike for the riding with family days, and I' hoping to get back into MTB in general so whatever cross country routes I get out on.

I have two choices on how to get the HT. I have an old Curfew XC frame, from 2005 I think it was. It was stripped in 2011 and I have done nothing with it (all the old components are long gone though). So the first option is source a load of second hand parts parts for that (there seem to be a few bits for sale on here that would be good on it, so Rockshox Tora forks, Avid Juicy 7 brakes, SRAM shifters). It would be a really basic bike, but serve it's purpose I suspect. With the components I have seen though, it would be pretty heavy.

The second option is spend the money on a semi-decent HT frame, and swap components between the FS and the HT as required. I'm thinking both frames would be set up so that I only have to swap wheels, fork, handle bars and stem (although the gear levels etc. would be in place on both bikes, and just need positioning on the handlebars; I couldn't be bothered readjusting everything each time I swapped over. Just for an idea, the fork I have is a tapered Fox FIT RLC 2011 model, Shimano XT hubs with Alex Rims, and Shimano SLX everything.

This would give me two fairly decent specced bikes. While the new HT frame would likely be overkill for the cycle route stuff, it would be perfectly fine for the other stuff I plan to do. I will then just transfer the bits back to the Ghost for the bigger rides.

I hope the garbling all makes sense. I bought the Ghost when I had no commitments, and I don't see a time in the next 10 years at least that'll I'll be able to afford a bike anywhere near that spec again. But I really want to ping around on a HT for a bit, and hopefully without selling the FS frame.

I'll also be rebuilding a hybrid and a road bike (both to be sold), both my brother's stuff, so over the next few weeks I'll be on here a fair bit I think asking all manner of questions!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Swapping anything other than wheel assemblies (wheel/tyre/disc) is going to take a lot of time, I'd build two complete bikes and just swap the wheels (which is what a mate does).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 100%
    100% Posts: 236
    The Rookie wrote:
    Swapping anything other than wheel assemblies (wheel/tyre/disc) is going to take a lot of time, I'd build two complete bikes and just swap the wheels (which is what a mate does).

Do this ^^

I'd use the exact same parts as far as possible too.