CX in Essex - clubs and venues?

boombang
boombang Posts: 38
edited June 2017 in Cyclocross
Hi all,

trying to work out if a winter of CX is viable (thinking ahead somewhat - but gives me some training time!).

I live in South Essex and obvious expect to travel a bit, but the local clubs I know have very little (and very old) info. The other usual info areas (like BC website) not been of much help either.

Anyone here involved?

Comments

• joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    http://www.easterncross.org.uk/

There is also a Facebook page for Eastern cyclocross (which is obviously more active in the winter).
  • boombang
    Very handy, thanks a lot.
  • TonyJams
    TonyJams Posts: 214
    There's also a summer series coming in in South London, a short whizz around the M25. Great fun riding the courses when they are dry and dusty.
    If youve not raced CX before there's a training day this weekend at Herne Hill velodrome (they've got loads of trails around the back of the track). Very recommended, both of the intructors are outstanding and it will probably be the best 3 hours learning on and off the bike you've had in ages.
    From what you'll learn there you'd be ok to race at Beastway in the remaining events on your cross bike - https://beastwaymtb.wordpress.com/race-dates/ on your CX bike, just be aware when you get lapped by MTBs more suited to the course!
    Most of all - have fun!
  • boombang
    Thanks for that, unfortunately not available else would have booked on.

Nice to know there are a couple of options for racing though, to date have mainly been thrashing about in woods and bridleways just to do something different from road.
  • TonyJams
    Definitely have a look at Beastway, Im pretty certain they allow CX bikes in there, the original ethos of Beastway was always inclusivity first, everything else secondary. Get in the fun class and ride as much as you can of the course, just be aware of not blocking the path when you get lapped by the quicker riders.
    You can always get there much earlier and do practice laps.
    The whole thing is a lot of fun.

Also - email the guys at https://hackneygt.com because they do friendly CX practice sessions too. Russ who organises them is very easy going.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Maldon and District CC run a couple of CX series - evening CX on Tuesdays in September and the Winter CX series in Nov - Feb on a Sunday morning. They're in Battlesbridge and always good fun.

There will be more details on the website nearer the time
  • mikpem
    mikpem Posts: 139
    Maldon and District CC would be a good group to speak to, they have a decent group of people that race in the Eastern Cross league.

As for venues, the timetable for Eastern Cross is due to be released within the next few weeks, it normally starts with a race in Chelmsford which shouldn't be too far away and is one of the less technical courses so a good one to have a first go at. In previous seasons there have been two venues in Basildon but there was only one last year, we also used the Hadleigh MTB park which was great fun so hopefully they resolve the cow based issued and are able to host another this year.

I had similar issues in my first year, struggled to find anyone who would help me out unless I joined in with the saturday club rides but I just didn't have the time to commit every week. So I just turned up to a couple of races, spoke to a few people and now I'm 4 seasons (and 3 bikes) in and love it.

Still not a member of a local club but I know people from a few of them so find it a very friendly atmosphere.
  • I started CX racing earlier this year & raced in the last 4 Maldon & District CX races and would recommend, you don't need to be a member of the club & think it was only £3 a race.

I'm planning on racing in the EasternCross league (dates have now been released) later this year as well as Maldon when there are no clashes.

Bit of a long shot, there was a Boombang on the VX220 website that was from Essex way, just wondering if it was yourself?
  • TonyJams
    London League provisional calendar is out
    http://bikesy.co.uk/features/racing/lon ... announced/
    I would thing there will be an essex league as well but the London races are excellent with a huge number of races to get points at