Rate the Giro

13»

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    They say about movies get the third act right and it doesn't really matter what happened in the first two. And the Giro had a great third act.

A couple of years ago I rewatched the Channel 4 highlights shows of the 1989 Tour. There was the same amount of rubbish as any other Tour. But it had that ending where LeMond was revealed as Keyser Soze, Fignon's head was in a box and Delgado was dead all along.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    RichN95 wrote:
    They say about movies get the third act right and it doesn't really matter what happened in the first two. And the Giro had a great third act.

A couple of years ago I rewatched the Channel 4 highlights shows of the 1989 Tour. There was the same amount of rubbish as any other Tour. But it had that ending where LeMond was revealed as Keyser Soze, Fignon's head was in a box and Delgado was dead all along.

Also it's not really feasible to have an explosive first week AND an exciting GC battle in the third.

People are asking the impossible.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Milton50 wrote:
    Out of interest why do so many people like Dumoulin?
    Well, personally, he's a cyclist so I want to like him. He's done nothing to dispel my position. He got a lot of fans when he came from nowhere to challenge for the Vuelta and it was heartbreaking when he lost it. He speaks perfect English, which helps in these parts, he's quite handsome (!) and looks good on a bike. What's not to like?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Also it's not really feasible to have an explosive first week AND an exciting GC battle in the third.

People are asking the impossible.

Not impossible, just improbable.
    The Giro has managed it in the past decade.
    Besides, exciting racing is exciting racing. Exciting time gaps, as some of us felt, don't necessarily guarantee an exciting GC battle.

I'm completely neutral on Tom Dumoulin, as I am on almost all riders.
    I've been told from someone who knows him that he's a really nice guy.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • inseine wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:
    Well, personally, he's a cyclist so I want to like him. He's done nothing to dispel my position. He got a lot of fans when he came from nowhere to challenge for the Vuelta and it was heartbreaking when he lost it. He speaks perfect English, which helps in these parts, he's quite handsome (!) and looks good on a bike. What's not to like?

Loada man crushes on display.... :wink:
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    At the team presentation before the Tour of Britain last year Dumoulin signed every autograph and posed for every photo that was asked despite getting soaked in the rain - he came across as the friendliest and most approachable rider there despite being one of the biggest names. Someone from Giant eventually had to go and get him and hurry him along because the rest of the team were wanting back to their hotel for some food!
  • bobmcstuff
    I think my biggest problem with Dumoulin is his helmet/glasses combo for TTs which looks absolutely terrible.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    inseine wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:

Loada man crushes on display.... :wink:

guilty :oops:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    I think my biggest problem with Dumoulin is his helmet/glasses combo for TTs which looks absolutely terrible.

Hadn't noticed this before but this is absolutely fair.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    Make that black and white and it's the grittiest of Rapha adverts! The J Peterman of Rapha adverts!
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Hadn't noticed this before but this is absolutely fair.

catmelonhead.jpg
  • diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 711
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:

I might not be best qualified to answer, as I pretty much don't not like anyone. But I like him because he's obviously a talented rider and he's making the most of it, he's shown a lot of guts in the mountains when it's not his favourite terrain and without a decent team around him, and he comes across as basically honest. I don't really see the arrogance.

Agreed especially the bit in bold. I also like the fact he seems to enjoy his racing.

Also an 8 for the Giro, thoroughly enjoyed it :D