Damaged Frame??

grayt78
grayt78 Posts: 4
edited June 2017 in Workshop
Hi,

Need some advice, came of my bike a couple of weeks ago and went to get back on it today and notice that (carbon frame) some small hairline fractures have appeared on the top of the Head fork tube just where the handle bars fit in. There are plenty of them and maybe 3-5mm in length. Have I screwed my framed? or is this just the paint?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What you say makes no sense. Maybe some pictures?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • grayt78
    Fractures_zpsm4mtkryo.jpg

Hopefully this will post ok
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Looks like paint cracks to me but can you take a look at the inside ?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,148
    the small ones look fresh, as above maybe just the paint

but unless it's shadow, the big one looks dirty, has the look of a crack that has grown over time

either get it checked by a decent bike shop, or diy - remove the forks and headset, clean and inspect it - if the crack goes deep/through then it's structural (it can probably be repaired ok though)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • grayt78
    Thanks, I am going to get it stripped down as the bottom bracket doesn't sound healthy either. If that crack is structural, can that sort of thing be fixed, costly? or is it good bye frame.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    That doesn't look good to me - and with your history of an accident it's especially suspicious.

If it is cracked I don't think that area can be repaired - it's under quite a bit of stress.

I wouldn't be riding it - it's the sort of thing you could lose your teeth over.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.