Gear range advice....

scoleman99
scoleman99 Posts: 23
edited June 2017 in Workshop
I bought a bike about 18 months ago from a colleague (who is a bit of a mountain goat!) and despite giving myself time to have a good crack at it I just cannot get on top of the gears in the hills. Great on the flat but need more on the hills. It's got a 39/55 on the front and a 11-28 10 speed 105 cassette on the back.

Would putting an 11 speed 11-30/32 give me enough of a difference or do I need to do something else?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    You need a compact chainset 50-34
    left the forum March 2023
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    You have a 10 speed cassette, so the replacement cassette also needs to be 10 speed.

an 11 speed cassette has different spacing between the cogs so would not be compatible.

a 32t cog cassette with a 39t inner ring is roughly the same as a 34t inner (compact crank) with a 28t cog.
  • scoleman99
    scoleman99 Posts: 23
    Thanks for the advice, I'll look into it!
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    If the rear mech would take it Sunrace does a 10 speed 11-36t rear cassette. 39:36 combo should get you pretty much up anything maybe worth checking out. This way you don't have to get a new chainset so will save a bunch of cash.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Sports-Outdo ... B00D9NCSA0

The above is Shimano compatible so assuming your rear mech can take a 36t you should be all good - I have used rear mechs with max 34t no probs with 36t so even if your rear mech states a max of 34t you will probably be ok.

The chain maybe a bit too short to use the 36t in with the 55 up front but you should not be using that gear anyway - 39:36 would be fine however
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    55/11 .. awesome