Royce Hub Dilemma

dangardner27
dangardner27 Posts: 118
edited June 2017 in Workshop
Calling anyone who has a Royce Venus rear hub. Have you found a way to quieten the freehub? The pawl noise is LOUD! I have the grease injection kit but this only quietens things for approx 10 miles and grease is ejected out from the freehub body and seaps out behind the cassette!!

I guess he question is are they getting damaged?

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    May be a result of the materials used and the design of the freehub, give Cliff at Royce a ring and ask the question.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Loud is good.... it means the springs are strong. You can buy a cheap Chinese hub made of cheese that is going to be quiet instead, or you can appreciate the sound of quality
    left the forum March 2023
  • dangardner27
    I thought loud meant not enough grease around the pawls, hence using the grease injection kit supplied by Cliff to quieten. Cliff has had the wheel back once before and could find nothing wrong (other than to ditch the 1mm Shimano 10sp spacer!!) so sounds like you are right Ugo!!
  • rajMAN
    rajMAN Posts: 429
    Having run Royce Venus hub for years now, yes they are "louder" than some other hubs granted. When I feel mine is getting loud it reminds me to inject some more grease! Depends on how much free wheeling, wet weather riding your doing I suppose.
  • dangardner27
    Me too - just that I'm having to inject grease every 20 miles or so as it goes from purring to sounding like an old fashioned football rattle in that time frame!!
  • rajMAN
    rajMAN Posts: 429
    More like every 20 weeks or even longer with me and I'm riding 4 times a week at least. Are you sure your not trying to make it silent? because thats not the way Royce hubs work. There should be an amount of noise! Useful in the lanes to warn stone deaf others of my existence.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    The amount of noise is a function of the size of the pawls and the strength of the springs... the louder the better. The pitch is down to the number of pawls and the number of engagement points in the ratchet. Grease lowers the noise, but not for long.

Whichever way you want to look at it, a silent freehub is a shoot freehub, unless it works with a different mechanism... for instance the DT Swiss one is quite silent but very good, but it's not a pawls based mechanism
    left the forum March 2023
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I found Campag hubs go quiet pretty much permanently with the thinnest smear of grease but I have no problem with the noise. It just reminds you that you have forgotten to keep pedalling!
    Faster than a tent.......