50-60mm clinchers for £400-£500?

mosa
mosa Posts: 754
edited June 2017 in Road buying advice
As titled I currently have race lite runs on my 5.9 madone but would like some carbon/laminate or full carbon but only want to spend £4-500 at a push

Not that bothered about weight but I would like to use as my main wheels for general rides

Any suggestions or links would be greatly appreciated. oh & I'm 85Kg
My bikes

2018 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Planet X
    Selcof
    Carbonzone

All the others listed in threads below.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Ive owned the px ones - and they were fine, but one thing to note is that it is a carbon fairing - which structually isnt part of the wheel.

I have since purchased a set of shimano rs80 c50.these still have an alloy braking surface - but the carbon is part of the wheel. Imo the ride and performance of the c50s is far superior to the px.

I got my c50s used for just over £300. The latest model is the rs81 which new can be got for a tad of £600.

By the planet x 52mm price varys throughout the year...they go as low as £399....up to £599 in high summer
  • nicklong
    nicklong Posts: 231
    I had a pair of RS81 C50s and they were outstanding. Sold them for a pair of Reynolds Assault SLGs, the Reynolds are much lighter but I miss the "go anywhere / brake anywhere" aspect of the C50s and I would have a second pair as a wet weather set of wheels in a heartbeat. Super strong.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I've the RS80 C50 and, although I've nothing similar to compare them with, they have been faultless.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    It's a real shame that the new DA C40 wheelset is so eye wateringly expensive. At £500-£600 they could have quickly become the go to wheel for most people. Hopefully they will do an RS equivalent (same rim, Ultegra hub instead of a DA one)...
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    You know the "new" 9100 C40 clinchers are rebadged 9000 C35s? They're exactly the same rim width and depth, despite the obvious implications of the new name. Same goes for the "new" C60s vs the old C50s.

They're essentially the same wheels Shimano made with the 7800 series Dura Ace, they're 13 years old now...
  • lbmxj560
    lbmxj560 Posts: 51
    Bax carbon is what you want. Seriously, they're great wheels at an incredible price (I've got two sets).

Wide rims, U shaped profile, nice quality novatec hubs, tubeless compatible (I run mine with Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless tyres - lovely) and fully carbon. Not that heavy either.

Take a look here

https://www.baxcarbon.co.uk/shop

Oh, and they're UK based if that's something that helps.
  • S.D.J sports have some 4za cirrus pro c50 carbon at under 500 . I bought a set of 4zA cirrus alu wheels reduced from 400 to 110. Where delivered free within 2 days and are great value. Have a google to check the wheel spec out.
  • I think in that price range, your only real options for what you're after are the likes of Bax or Zuus...or second hand?