Schwalbe tubeless on wtb rims?

IllegalFun
IllegalFun Posts: 2
edited May 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

Just got myself a Cannondale Beast of the East which comes with WTB tyres and rims.
I want to switch to Schwalbe Rocket Rons, but will they fit the WTB rims properly for tubeless?
Obviously both companies websites are useless on the topic because they want to sell their own kit.

Also, the WTB tyres say 30-45psi but could I run them lower at say 20psi? Lots of other people with 3" tyres are running anywhere between 12 and 20psi? The Schwalbe tyres say 17-35psi which sounds more likely, but are the WTB tyres really going to get pinch flats below 30psi?

Sorry for the long post

Will

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    They'll be fine. I have a combo of Schwalbe Nobby Nic and Hans Dampf on WTB i23 rims.

Running them at 20psi will be fine (assuming that's the right pressure for your weight). Also, one of the big advantages of running tubeless is that you won't get pinch flats, which allows running lower pressures.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Rebuild a WTB 123 rim for a customer this week. he required 5 layers of tubeless tape to get his conti tyre to seat and seal.

So you have to try it and see. You will get the to go tubeless but how much tape you will need is unknown.

about 20ish psi for a 2.2" tyre is about right. you can run lower with wider tyres.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.