ultegra brake cable hook

mjmottram
mjmottram Posts: 10
edited May 2017 in Workshop
Hi,

I have a ultegra 6600 front shifter and need to replace the brake cable. I can carry out the replacement, but am wondering if there's a way to do this without the need to lift up the brake cable hook. I've already done this, and the cable hook fell apart and is awkward to piece back together and fit back into its mount. Every guide I've managed to find online is for newer models, where the cable can be accessed from the front of the unit (sometimes the name plate must be removed first, but it's still simple to access). This doesn't appear to be the case with the 6600 (http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-ST-6600-2369A.pdf), or am I missing something?

While I'm here, the cable is sticking - hence the repair - but shows no signs of wear either in the shifter or at the caliper end; is it best to replace both inner cable and housing? In fact, do people routinely replace both rather than just the inner?

Thanks in advance!
Matt

Comments

• I've recently replaced the brake cables on my 6600 setup - there was no need to lift anything up or disassemble the shifter at all. I simply pushed the old cable backwards until the bit popped out of the cable hook unit (No 4 on your linked PDF), pulled the old cable out and then posted the new cable through the hook unit, bare end first.

You probably shouldn't be using the lever at all if the cable hook unit isn't secure in its mounting - all the braking force goes through it.
  • mjmottram
    mjmottram Posts: 10
    Hmm, I'm going to order a new hook since this one seems to fall apart regularly. That said, the cable did push out of the brake hook the first time, but it then gets caught on the shifter housing and I had to use some long nose pliers to lift it up enough so that I could pull it through; that's when the brake hook popped out. I'm guessing the housing should have rotated more freely when I pushed the cable through the shifter?