best wheelset upgrade for 350euros

jacobpeacock
jacobpeacock Posts: 66
edited May 2017 in Road buying advice
my current wheelset is a shimano rs11. i only have a budget of 350 euros. thinking about the racing quattro lg because of the 35mm rim height.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    One thing the industry seems to agree on is that it's not the depth of the rim but the shape of the rim that determines aero gain... in other words it is not about shortening spoke length, but it's about managing air flow around them and around the wheel as a whole.
    While the quattro have a deepish rim, it's not a very aerodynamic rim. It wouldn't be my first choice with a 350 pounds budget
    left the forum March 2023
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Has to be zonda C17: light, wide, stiff and excellent cup/cone bearings. Not a lot of spokes though, so perhaps not the best for fatboys.
  • One thing the industry seems to agree on is that it's not the depth of the rim but the shape of the rim that determines aero gain... in other words it is not about shortening spoke length, but it's about managing air flow around them and around the wheel as a whole.
    While the quattro have a deepish rim, it's not a very aerodynamic rim. It wouldn't be my first choice with a 350 pounds budget
    What would you recommend then?
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    Has to be zonda C17: light, wide, stiff and excellent cup/cone bearings. Not a lot of spokes though, so perhaps not the best for fatboys.
    how about the sricoco 35?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    One thing the industry seems to agree on is that it's not the depth of the rim but the shape of the rim that determines aero gain... in other words it is not about shortening spoke length, but it's about managing air flow around them and around the wheel as a whole.

If you want aero, then go for something that has good aero credentials... hard in your price bracket though...

Otherwise, go light, Zonda as suggested are a good option for light riders. If you are heavier get a quote for something hand built,

The quattro are very decent wheels, but 350 seems steep for them
    left the forum March 2023
  • One thing the industry seems to agree on is that it's not the depth of the rim but the shape of the rim that determines aero gain... in other words it is not about shortening spoke length, but it's about managing air flow around them and around the wheel as a whole.

If you want aero, then go for something that has good aero credentials... hard in your price bracket though...

Otherwise, go light, Zonda as suggested are a good option for light riders. If you are heavier get a quote for something hand built,

ok thanks for the advice
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    how about the sricoco 35?

They still use 15c narrow rims. If your going to upgrade you might as well get a wider 17c rim for the better handling. So the Quattro's would be the better choice. Other than that they are near enough the same wheels as the Scirocco 35's.

But.....Zonda C17's would better both of those wheels. They are hard to beat for £325. They are really top notch wheels.

Check the prices. They are not 350 euro's.