Mitts

asprilla
asprilla Posts: 8,440
edited June 2017 in Commuting chat
So, my beloved Rapha Grand Tour mitts have finally bitten the dust. Or rather the dog's enthusiastic greeting when I got home bit them.

Rapha have discontinued them and the ones in the archive store are XS only, which is one size too small.

Anyone got any recommendations for alternatives?
Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
Sun - Cervelo R3
Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX

Comments

• smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    I think the what youve bought thread has what you are looking for. Rhodorich just post up about cheap mitts.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    I just bought some gripgrab progel ones to replace dhb aeron ones which disintegrated in a year. I'm quite tough on mitts, so will see how these gripgrab ones fare. Like them so far, grippy and well padded.
  • asprilla
    I'm kinda after something leather and with a bit of longevity; my GT mitts have lasted 5 years and probably would keep going if the dog hadn't got to them.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Asprilla wrote:
    I'm kinda after something leather and with a bit of longevity; my GT mitts have lasted 5 years and probably would keep going if the dog hadn't got to them.

Not keen on the Rapha Leather mitts? Not that I've tried them, waaaay out of my range.
  • asprilla
    Asprilla wrote:

Not keen on the Rapha Leather mitts? Not that I've tried them, waaaay out of my range.

I didn't know they did them, I thought the GT had been replaced with some leather / lycra hybrid.

I've got some of the Giro ones. Not a fan. Frankly I find anything with padding on the palms to be uncomfortable.

These look nice, but the double leather on the palm concerns me: http://galibier.cc/product/campionissimo/
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    Asprilla wrote:
    ... These look nice, but the double leather on the palm concerns me: http://galibier.cc/product/campionissimo/
    Thanks for this, I need new mitts too, so I've just bought some of these
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • The new Rapha Classic Crochet mitts are good, only had them a week but feel like my old GTs.
  • davesnothere
    davesnothere Posts: 620
    rower63 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    ... These look nice, but the double leather on the palm concerns me: http://galibier.cc/product/campionissimo/

Those look nice, may have to treat myself as it's millionaire's weekend
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,728
    rower63 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Those look nice, may have to treat myself as it's millionaire's weekend
    Not sure about the new iterations but the Classic mitts used to have the same leather grip and padding as the Grand Tours.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    Definitely recommend the galibier ginettaccio. Great gloves, pretty as hell, and come with a really handy duck cotton bag.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Another vote for Galibier mitts, I prefer the ones with the pulls between the fingers though, to help pulling them off
  • asprilla
    Bought the Galibier Championissimos and wore them this morning.

Very nice indeed. Very soft leather and very comfortable. Only down sides are that cream / brown doesn't coordinate as well as white / black and they are a bit loose at the wrist. I'm a size small and clearly they expect my wrists to be the same width as the palm of my hand. If they used velcro instead of press-studs then I'd be able to adjust to fit.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    I had a pair of Agu Sport mitts from before time began, old fashioned crochet back, leather palm. Never found anything as good, tried various sorts.

Never ride without mitts or gloves.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    Asprilla wrote:

Very nice indeed. Very soft leather and very comfortable. Only down sides are that cream / brown doesn't coordinate as well as white / black and they are a bit loose at the wrist. I'm a size small and clearly they expect my wrists to be the same width as the palm of my hand. If they used velcro instead of press-studs then I'd be able to adjust to fit.
    MIne arrived yesterday and I too wore them this morning. I like them, but as I have skinny wrists I had to "skip" a press-stud and pull them further across.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Definitely recommend the galibier ginettaccio. Great gloves, pretty as hell, and come with a really handy duck cotton bag.

They look great, just wish they were also in white
  • asprilla
    rower63 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

MIne arrived yesterday and I too wore them this morning. I like them, but as I have skinny wrists I had to "skip" a press-stud and pull them further across.

Tried that last night. Fine on the right but too tight on the left, and I'm not into asymmetrical glove wearing. Not a problem though, they are incredibly comfortable.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just bought two more sets of Aldi mitts for £3.99 each.....but I doubt they'd appeal to you!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I'd go Romney or Oven
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • asprilla
    I'd go Romney or Oven

Tried Romney but they only come in Right.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3