Thanks.
    Just part of the day job... ( gps geek)

Yep great post.

Thank you everybody!!!
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    jds_1981 wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Now I have no expertise​ in judging speeds but you can tell some things. He was well over the limit and driving irresponsibly.
    Generally reasonable, but I feed the general public are terrible at estimating bike speeds. You'll hear 30/40 mph bandied about.

^^^^this totally and its stated as a causal factor in a lot of collisions in accident reports as a result, humans just arent very good at estimating speeds of moving objects and working out the correct angle and distance, you might be able to judge the idiot going nearly twice the speed of the other vehicles around them is speeding, but all you are judging is their speed in relation to the other moving objects is clearly vastly different, you wouldnt be able to judge whether a vehicle is doing 25mph, or 35mph, in a 30limit with any degree of certainty at all, its just a guess. and whats a guess got to do with the price of fish.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It's a form of evidence though. In this case the evidence of the Strava sounds an excellent counter argument.
  • seajays
    seajays Posts: 331
    Fenix wrote:
    Prseumably the OP isn't on Strava as the GPS trace would be enough ?

yep I am on Strava - and whilst hope I have most bases covered I wanted to make sure I am not missing anything

not sure whatyou mean by "GPS trace would be enough"

If you're on Strava, and recorded the ride, you can just go back to the ride record in Strava and hit analysis (1) - then you can move the cursor along the graph and the point on the map will move until you find the spot (2), and the speed is shown on the right (3). But maybe you already knew that, in which case I'm not sure what you're asking! :D

ijgG
    Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
    Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
    My Strava
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    jds_1981 wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Now I have no expertise​ in judging speeds but you can tell some things. He was well over the limit and driving irresponsibly.
    Generally reasonable, but I feed the general public are terrible at estimating bike speeds. You'll hear 30/40 mph bandied about.
    I think in the minds of some drivers, bikes do either 10mph (so they have plenty of room to pull out in front of you) or 40mph and going too fast. Nothing in between.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Seajays wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

yep I am on Strava - and whilst hope I have most bases covered I wanted to make sure I am not missing anything

If you're on Strava, and recorded the ride, you can just go back to the ride record in Strava and hit analysis (1) - then you can move the cursor along the graph and the point on the map will move until you find the spot (2), and the speed is shown on the right (3). But maybe you already knew that, in which case I'm not sure what you're asking! :D

Generally, yes, but see my post on using the graphs/overlays (TL;DR, they are smoothed out, and at 1hz rate it takes > 2 seconds to show that someone has been braking)
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Seajays wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

Generally, yes, but see my post on using the graphs/overlays (TL;DR, they are smoothed out, and at 1hz rate it takes > 2 seconds to show that someone has been braking)

Fortunately I am picking up data points of 28kmh and 15kmh before 0kmh so I can demonstrate braking

W2K - do you know if Strava data has been tested in court?
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Seajays wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

Fortunately I am picking up data points of 28kmh and 15kmh before 0kmh so I can demonstrate braking

W2K - do you know if Strava data has been tested in court?

Glad to see that, makes it easier if it has to be called into court.
    Re Strava data actually being called into court? Not personally, but I'm aware that gps tracks from on board trackers in have been pulled into court.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • surrey_commuter
    if they keep irritating me them court will be exactly where we end up
  • Mr _Tibbs
    Mr _Tibbs Posts: 46
    MugenSi wrote:
    Go to the full strava website and create a segment for the section of road that the collision occurred on...if its a long hill then use the full distance to show from the top to the bottom of the hill for the segment.

Make it private and save it.

Within 24hrs Strava will update your profile to include your times for that segment. Once you click into it, you can select the date the collision occurred so long as you were using strava on that date. It will show you your average and maximum speed for that segment on that date. You can also show them previous days data also to show consistency.

This/\/\ plus use all past average Mph to show the style and type of riding you do consistently.
  • surrey_commuter
    Mr _Tibbs wrote:
    MugenSi wrote:
    Go to the full strava website and create a segment for the section of road that the collision occurred on...if its a long hill then use the full distance to show from the top to the bottom of the hill for the segment.

Within 24hrs Strava will update your profile to include your times for that segment. Once you click into it, you can select the date the collision occurred so long as you were using strava on that date. It will show you your average and maximum speed for that segment on that date. You can also show them previous days data also to show consistency.

This/\/\ plus use all past average Mph to show the style and type of riding you do consistently.

Cheers - my lawyer is now following me on Strava :D

I have also been looking at average speeds in the TdF to really lay it on think that the "independent" witness is mistaken.

Does anybody have thoughts on how far a chap would travel through the air if he hit a car at 30mph?
  • Mr _Tibbs
    Mr _Tibbs wrote:
    MugenSi wrote:

I have also been looking at average speeds in the TdF to really lay it on think that the "independent" witness is mistaken.

Does anybody have thoughts on how far a chap would travel through the air if he hit a car at 30mph?

Just keep in mind that Juicing a ride, even editing past rides, is all very possible on Strava, so its worth perhaps taking some screen shots of comments (Kudos isn't dated) to show that rides have not been edited (juiced) and re-entered (re-entering wont collect kudos and comments with the old dates).
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    The activity ID number on Strava will give a guide when it was uploaded. Mine last weekend was 1020xxxxxx, 3 months ago it was 884xxxxxx. Sure it's technical - but the ID number is created by a party with no skin in the game.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Mr _Tibbs wrote:
    MugenSi wrote:

In my experience about 27mph would get you more than the length of a box style van.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Mr _Tibbs
    jds_1981 wrote:
    In my experience about 27mph would get you more than the length of a box style van.

Sorry to hear that